How can vector identity be applied to compute electric and magnetic fields?

In summary, the author is trying to find ##\vec E## given:$$\vec E=i\frac{c}{k}\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}\\\vec{B}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{\mu_0\omega k}{4\pi}\left (\vec{r}\times\vec{p} \right )\left [ 1 - \frac{1}{ik\vec{r}} \right ]\frac{1}{\vec{r}}e^{ikr}\\\vec{\nabla}\times(\vec{A}\times\vec{B})=(\vec B
Krikri

Homework Statement

I want to compute the electric field knowing the magnetic field using a vector identity

Homework Equations

E=i [itex]\frac{c}{k}[/itex] (∇[itex]\times[/itex]B)

B(r,t)=(μ0ωk/4π) ([itex]\hat{r}[/itex]×[itex]\vec{p}[/itex])[1-[itex]\frac{1}{ikr}[/itex]](eikr/r)

[itex]\vec{p}[/itex]=dipole moment,constant vector

we have ti use the identity [itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\times[/itex](A[itex]\times[/itex]B)=(B[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇)A-(A[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇)B +A(∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]B) +B(∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]A)

the identy simplifies in this situtation because for some reason we take (A[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇)B=0 and A(∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]B)=0
So applying this we have :

E(r,t)=ic/k(μ0ωk/4π) [itex]\nabla[/itex][eikr/r2(1-[itex]\frac{1}{ikr}[/itex]]×(r×p)+ic/k(μ0ωk/4π)[eikr/r2(1-[itex]\frac{1}{ikr}[/itex]]∇×(r×p)
E(r,t)=i(ω/4πε0c)[ik([itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{ikr^3}[/itex])]eikr r×(r×p) + i(ω/4πε0c)[(eikr/r^2)(1-[itex]\frac{1}{ikr}[/itex])][-∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]r)p+(p[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇)r] the this part says it's equal to -∇[itex]\cdot[/itex]r)p+(p[itex]\cdot[/itex]∇)r=-3p+p=-2p so

E(r,t)=[itex]\frac{k^2}{4πε0}[/itex](r×p)×r (ei(kr-ωt)/r) + [itex]\frac{1}{4πε0}[/itex][3r(r[itex]\cdot[/itex]p)-p]([itex]\frac{1}{r^3}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{ik}{r^2}[/itex])ei(kr-ωt)

My problem is i don't know how the vector identy is used here..with this tools we calculate magnetic and electric fields in the approximation zones( near,far-field) when vector potential is given. Can someone give a more simple example than this of what he did in this solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets make sure I follow you first:

You want to find ##\vec{E}## given:
$$\vec{E} = i\frac{c}{k}\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{B}\\
\vec{B}(\vec{r},t)=\frac{\mu_0\omega k}{4\pi}\left (\vec{r}\times\vec{p} \right )
\left [ 1 - \frac{1}{ik\vec{r}} \right ]\frac{1}{\vec{r}}e^{ikr}\\

\vec{\nabla}\times(\vec{A}\times\vec{B})=(\vec B\cdot\vec{\nabla})\vec A-(\vec A\cdot\vec \nabla)\vec B + \vec A(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec B)+ \vec B(\vec \nabla \cdot \vec A)

$$... skipping a bit for now:
My problem is i don't know how the vector identy is used here.
... if I got the above right, it looks to me that when you do ##\vec \nabla \times \vec B## you will end up with a term involving ##\vec \nabla \times (\vec{r}\times\vec{p})## ... which is where the identity should have come in.

BTW: the equation editor can be tricky to use.
It is normally better just to type the LaTeX markup in directly.

i figured out how the identity works. In this situation i don't know , but as it seems the problems i am into, don't require all of the above but simpler cases.

Thanks a lot for your time

What is a vector identity problem?

A vector identity problem is a mathematical problem that involves manipulating and solving equations involving vectors. Vectors are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction, often represented by arrows.

What are common types of vector identity problems?

Some common types of vector identity problems include finding the dot product, cross product, or magnitude of vectors, solving systems of linear equations involving vectors, and finding the projection or angle between vectors.

What skills are required to solve vector identity problems?

To solve vector identity problems, one needs a strong understanding of vector operations and properties, as well as knowledge of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are also important.

Can vector identity problems be solved using software?

Yes, many software programs such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python have built-in functions for solving vector identity problems. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in solving these problems.

Why are vector identity problems important?

Vector identity problems are important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, mechanics, and computer graphics. They allow us to model and solve real-world problems involving forces, motion, and direction, and help us understand and analyze complex systems and phenomena.