Can Math Courses Help You Learn Stock Market Investing?

• Math
  • Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topics of investing in the stock market and choosing a career in Mathematics or Physics. The person seeking advice is interested in finding a math course that specifically teaches how to invest in the stock market and asks for a recommended website. They also mention their desire to teach and inquire about which subject would be more lucrative for earning money. The other person recommends using investopedia.com to learn the basics of investing and mentions that most investments are long term. They also suggest considering business and psychology/sociology courses for understanding the stock market. The conversation ends with a discussion about the difficulty of predicting the stock market and the limited number of people who can do so successfully. In summary, the conversation mainly focuses on the challenges
barthayn
Are there math courses in university that teach you how to invest in the stock market? If so can you link me a website that explains what the course teaches.

Also I am thinking about getting into Mathematics or Physics as teaching career. Which one do you think would be better to make money? I think math because of the stock market and other related stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try investopedia.com. It'll teach you all the basics and there's a virtual stock-market trader there. You can invest without using real money until you're comfortable. Unless you can see the future, there's no real way you can make a quick dollar in stocks. Most investments are long term.

As for teaching, what do you want to teach and how much money do you expect or feel you need to earn to live a comfortable life?

Wax said:
Try investopedia.com. It'll teach you all the basics and there's a virtual stock-market trader there. You can invest without using real money until you're comfortable. Unless you can see the future, there's no real way you can make a quick dollar in stocks. Most investments are long term.

As for teaching, what do you want to teach and how much money do you expect or feel you need to earn to live a comfortable life?

I wish to teach one of the subjects. I really don't care which one. I just want the one that will make me the most income from the subject being taught and from the investments. I will look over that website later, however, I feel that if I study investing in school it would be best for me because I have to learn everything to get a good mark. So if there is a course that you know about please copy the information to here for me.

Thanks.

barthayn said:
I wish to teach one of the subjects. I really don't care which one. I just want the one that will make me the most income from the subject being taught and from the investments. I will look over that website later, however, I feel that if I study investing in school it would be best for me because I have to learn everything to get a good mark. So if there is a course that you know about please copy the information to here for me.

Thanks.

This reminds me. I shorted some stocks in investopedia a while back just for the hell of it. I bet I'm racking in some virtual money right now. Now if only I can remember the password. :rofl:

There is not single undergraduate degree that can teach you how to do well in the stock market, not to mention a single course. If you're looking for a get rich quick plan then I'm sorry to tell you it's not in the stock market.

All I am looking for is to completely understand the stock market so I won't lose a ton of money if I invest. I feel it is best to study this in school then to trust myself on a website.

barthayn said:
All I am looking for is to completely understand the stock market so I won't lose a ton of money if I invest. I feel it is best to study this in school then to trust myself on a website.

The problem is that you can't teach how the world is going to be in the future. The stock market isn't a mathematical model. There was never a course that could have told you that Microsoft would be worth 70 billion dollars so invest in it.

Pengwuino said:
The problem is that you can't teach how the world is going to be in the future. The stock market isn't a mathematical model. There was never a course that could have told you that Microsoft would be worth 70 billion dollars so invest in it.

There are some people who can actually read the stock market well but they are very few. You can check them out at in the investopedia virtual trader. I always look at the top 4 people and try to figure out what they were trading.

If there was anyone who could reliably predict the stock market, they'd have to be some sort of idiot to teach other people how to do it instead of just trading themselves.

There <i>is</i> no viable way of predicting the stockmarket; it is as result of the individual psychologies of millions of people participating in it. I'd think taking business courses and psychology/sociology courses would be much more useful on the stock market than a physics or math course.

What are the benefits of taking math courses?

Math courses teach critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning, which are valuable in a wide range of fields such as science, technology, finance, and engineering. They also help in improving memory, concentration, and analytical skills.

What are the different types of math courses offered?

There are various types of math courses offered, such as algebra, calculus, geometry, statistics, and trigonometry. These courses cover different topics and have varying levels of difficulty, catering to students with different levels of math proficiency.

Do I need to have a strong math background to take these courses?

No, most math courses have prerequisite courses that cover the necessary foundations and skills needed for the course. However, having a basic understanding of math concepts can make it easier to grasp more complex topics.

How can I succeed in math courses?

Success in math courses requires regular practice and active engagement in the class. It is also essential to seek help from professors or tutors if you are struggling with a particular concept. Additionally, setting aside dedicated study time and utilizing resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems can aid in understanding and mastering the material.

What career opportunities are available for individuals who have taken math courses?

Individuals who have taken math courses have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in finance, data analysis, research, engineering, and teaching. These courses provide a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are highly sought after skills in many industries.