Abstract Algebra: Properties of the Group U(n)

I know that (\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times} is a group, but is \mathbb{Z}_n a group or a set?I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. The notation \mathbb{Z}_n can be used to denote both the set of integers modulo n and the group of units modulo n, depending on context. But regardless, they are isomorphic as groups. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a group in modular arithmetic, specifically focusing on the set U(n) which consists of all
Shoney45

Homework Statement

(This is an example of a group in my text).

An integer 'a' has a multiplicative inverse modulo n iff 'a' and 'n' are relatively prime. So for each n > 1, we define U(n) to be the set of all positive integers less than 'n' and relatively prime to 'n'. Then U(n) is a group under multiplication modulo n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I am unable to wrap my mind around "An integer 'a' has a multiplicative inverse modulo n iff 'a' and 'n' are relatively prime". I know what "relatively prime" is. I just can't seem to get a grip on this, and could use a nudge in the right direction to fully grasp this group.

2) I am unsure of the identity for the group. I understand that an identity element 'e' is the element which, when multiplied by any element 'a' in the group = 'a'. So under ordinary multiplication, my identity would be 1. But this group is under multiplication modulo n, and I am unsure if the identity is something other than 1. It is the modular arithmetic component that is buggering me up.

Physics news on Phys.org
1 is still the identity. Take U(9). 2 and 9 are relatively prime. So 2 must have an inverse in U(9). 2*5=10=1 mod 9. So 5 is the inverse of 2. Just try doing some more examples like this until you get used to the idea.

Or better yet, prove it! When I took my first abstract algebra class, one of the problems we did was:

a) Show that [itex] a \in U(n) [/itex] is a unit if and only if a and n are relatively prime.
(Hint: Use Bézout's identity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bézout's_identity).)

b) Every element of U(n) is either a unit or a zero-divisor.

N.B. U(n) is often called [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] since it is the group of elements of [itex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/itex] which have multiplicative inverses.

Shoney45 said:

Homework Statement

(This is an example of a group in my text).

An integer 'a' has a multiplicative inverse modulo n iff 'a' and 'n' are relatively prime. So for each n > 1, we define U(n) to be the set of all positive integers less than 'n' and relatively prime to 'n'. Then U(n) is a group under multiplication modulo n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I am unable to wrap my mind around "An integer 'a' has a multiplicative inverse modulo n iff 'a' and 'n' are relatively prime". I know what "relatively prime" is. I just can't seem to get a grip on this, and could use a nudge in the right direction to fully grasp this group.

2) I am unsure of the identity for the group. I understand that an identity element 'e' is the element which, when multiplied by any element 'a' in the group = 'a'. So under ordinary multiplication, my identity would be 1. But this group is under multiplication modulo n, and I am unsure if the identity is something other than 1. It is the modular arithmetic component that is buggering me up.

I'm not sure if anyone has cleared this up for you, but I will try. As you said, your confusion seems to be the modular arithmetic. If you already know this, then I apologize, but I will go over some modular arithmetic stuff.

First, what is mod arithmetic? The equation a + b = c (mod n) or a+b (mod n) are examples of equations/statements in modular arithmetic. a+b (mod c) means to normally add a and b, divide by c, and take the remainder. In other words, add a and b normally, then see how far away they are from the last multiple of c.

Example: 5 + 4 (mod 4) = 5 (mod 4), which is usually written like this:
[tex] 5 + 4 \equiv 5 (mod 4) [\tex]

Second, if a = b (mod n) then we say that a is congruent to b, mod n. It is of utmost importance to know that congruence modulo n is an equivalence relation (look up that this means).

spamiam said:
N.B. U(n) is often called [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] since it is the group of elements of [itex] \mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z}[/itex] which have multiplicative inverses.

Are you sure about that? I think that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] is what you mean. [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] contains sets, but it is isomorphic to U(n).

The number, 1, is considered to be coprime (relatively prime) to every positive integer, so U(n) has an identity element for all n.

Generate some examples of U(n) for various values of n, to see how things work out.

Robert1986 said:
Are you sure about that? I think that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] is what you mean. [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] contains sets, but it is isomorphic to U(n).

No, [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] is what I meant. First of all, the notation [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] is ambiguous, since it might also refer to the p-adic numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-adic_integer#p-adic_expansions.

Secondly, as you pointed out the two groups are isomorphic, so they are fundamentally the same: talking about [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] and [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^[/itex] as if they were different things is misleading. But more to the point, the notation often used for modular arithmetic is very indicative of a quotient group. [itex] \overline{a} [/itex] is often used to denote the residue of a mod n, and similarly, for any quotient group G/N, the coset a+N is often written as [itex] \overline{a}[/itex] (cf. Dummit and Foote, for example).

Last edited:
spamiam said:
No, [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^{\times}[/itex] is what I meant. First of all, the notation [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] is ambiguous, since it might also refer to the p-adic numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-adic_integer#p-adic_expansions.

Secondly, as you pointed out the two groups are isomorphic, so they are fundamentally the same: talking about [itex] \mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] and [itex](\mathbb{Z}/n\mathbb{Z})^[/itex] as if they were different things is misleading. But more to the point, the notation often used for modular arithmetic is very indicative of a quotient group. [itex] \overline{a} [/itex] is often used to denote the residue of a mod n, and similarly, for any quotient group G/N, the coset a+N is often written as [itex] \overline{a}[/itex] (cf. Dummit and Foote, for example).

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Though, there are lots of ambiguous notations. I guess that the point of my comment was to make it clear the the Z/nZ are, in fact, different groups, and while ther are isomorphic the differences should be noted.

1. What is the definition of a group in abstract algebra?

A group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements of the set to form a third element. The operation must also satisfy four axioms: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. What is the group U(n) used for in abstract algebra?

The group U(n) is used to represent the set of all n-by-n unitary matrices, which are square matrices with complex entries that satisfy certain properties. These properties make U(n) a useful tool for studying symmetry and transformations in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you determine if a matrix is in the group U(n)?

A matrix is in the group U(n) if it is square and its conjugate transpose is equal to its inverse. In other words, if A is a matrix in U(n), then A*A* = A**A = I, where A* is the conjugate transpose of A and I is the identity matrix.

4. What are some properties of the group U(n)?

Some properties of the group U(n) include closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. Additionally, the elements of U(n) are unitary, meaning their conjugate transpose is equal to their inverse, and they have a determinant of 1. This group is also non-Abelian, meaning the order in which operations are performed matters.

5. How is the group U(n) related to other groups in abstract algebra?

The group U(n) is a subgroup of the general linear group GL(n,C), which consists of all n-by-n invertible complex matrices. It is also a subgroup of the special unitary group SU(n), which consists of all n-by-n unitary matrices with determinant 1. Additionally, U(n) is a Lie group, meaning it is a smooth, continuous group that can be described by a finite number of parameters.