A question about conditions for Weightlessness

In summary, when in orbit, the only force acting on a spaceship is gravity, which is just enough to keep it in orbit. This means that the astronaut inside the spaceship feels weightless because there is no additional force needed to support them. The equations used to calculate this are correct, as they take into account the force of gravity and the acceleration of the spaceship. The reason we do not feel gravity in orbit is because there is no ground pushing against us, but gravity is still at work causing us to accelerate downwards.
nadavg54
I read that if you are in a spaceship orbiting Earth in a circular motion, the astronout feels weightless (meaning the normal force to the astronout is equal to zero). But according to Newton laws equations you get:
gif.latex?N%20=%20\frac{GMm}{r^2}%20-%20\frac{mv^2}{r}.gif

and then if we assume N=0 (which is really what's happening according to my understanding), we get:
gif.latex?\frac{GMm}{r^2}%20=%20\frac{mv^2}{r}.gif

And I don't understand why is that true, if you can explain, or if there is any mistake in what I've said above,

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only force acting on the ship is gravity, which is just enough to keep it in orbit. No additional force is required to support something in orbit, so the apparent weight is zero.

In orbit, the force of gravity isn't felt because the orbiting spaceship is in freefall.

so my equations are not correct?

nadavg54 said:
so my equations are not correct?

They are correct. N=0 for an astronaut in freefall, because there's nothing that
can push against the astronaut. Your equation is just F =ma , where the
force is [itex] \frac {GmM}{r^2} [/itex] and the acceleration is [itex]
\frac {v^2}{r} [/itex]

Yes, your equations are correct. We actually don't "feel" gravity, we feel the ground pushing on our feet on response to the gravity pulling us against the ground. In free fall, there is no ground pushing back, so we feel don't feel it. But there is still gravity pulling on us. That is why we accelerate downwards. Try jumping off a high bridge into a river with your eyes closed. While in the air, you will feel weightless, but gravity is still at work, because you fall.

1. What is weightlessness?

Weightlessness, also known as zero gravity, is the state in which an object experiences no net force due to gravity. This can happen when an object is in free fall or when it is far enough from a source of gravity, such as in space.

2. What are the conditions for weightlessness to occur?

There are two main conditions for weightlessness to occur. The first is when an object is in free fall, meaning it is only influenced by the force of gravity and has no other external forces acting on it. The second is when an object is in orbit around a larger body, such as a planet or moon. In this case, the object is constantly falling towards the larger body but its forward motion keeps it from crashing into the surface.

3. Why do astronauts experience weightlessness in space?

Astronauts experience weightlessness in space because they are constantly falling towards the Earth due to gravity, but their forward motion keeps them from actually hitting the Earth's surface. This creates a sensation of weightlessness, as there is no solid surface pushing against their body.

4. Can weightlessness be simulated on Earth?

Yes, weightlessness can be simulated on Earth through various methods such as parabolic flight, where an airplane follows a specific trajectory to create brief periods of weightlessness for passengers. Additionally, water tanks and drop towers can also be used to simulate weightlessness for scientific experiments.

5. How does weightlessness affect the human body?

Extended periods of weightlessness can have various effects on the human body, including muscle atrophy, bone density loss, and changes in the cardiovascular and immune systems. However, these effects can be managed through regular exercise and proper nutrition. Short periods of weightlessness, such as those experienced during parabolic flight, do not have significant effects on the body.