Can AB-BA ever equal the identity matrix?

• Thread starter hamsterman
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to prove that for no two matrices A and B, A*B - B*A = I. However, this is difficult to do because there are cases where the equation may not be obvious. Additionally, determinants are just numbers and may not be applicable in all cases.
hamsterman
The task is to prove that for no two matrices A and B, A*B - B*A = I, where I is the identity matrix.
I tried multiplying by the inverses of A or B, but that doesn't seem to lead to a more manageable form. The only way I see this could be done is by writing down all n*n (assuming n by n matrices) linear equations. It's easy to do when n = 2, but the same contradiction may not be as obvious for higher n.
I hope there is a more intelligent way to go about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about determinants?

I know that det(AB) = det(BA), but I don't know what are the properties when subtraction is involved. Except for the case when only one line is different.

hamsterman said:
I know that det(AB) = det(BA), but I don't know what are the properties when subtraction is involved.

Determinant is just a number, isn't it?

What I mean is that I don't know what is det(AB-BA) even if I do know det(AB) and det(BA).
I'm looking at Sylvester's determinant theorem which looks related, but I still don't see a solution. Now I need to prove that for no M, det(M+I) = det(M)[STRIKE], at least when M = AB..[/STRIKE] (now that I think about it, there is probably no matrix that can't be written as a product of two others, is there?)

hamsterman said:
What I mean is that I don't know what is det(AB-BA) even if I do know det(AB) and det(BA).
I'm looking at Sylvester's determinant theorem which looks related, but I still don't see a solution. Now I need to prove that for no M, det(M+I) = det(M)[STRIKE], at least when M = AB..[/STRIKE] (now that I think about it, there is probably no matrix that can't be written as a product of two others, is there?)

Try taking the trace.

So tr(AB-BA) = 0 ? Great. Thanks.

1. Is it possible to disprove the equation AB-BA = I?

Yes, it is possible to disprove the equation AB-BA = I. In fact, this equation is not always true and there are certain conditions that have to be met for it to hold.

2. What are the conditions for the equation AB-BA = I to be true?

The equation AB-BA = I is only true if A and B are square matrices of the same size and they commute with each other, meaning that AB = BA.

3. Can you provide an example where AB-BA = I is false?

Sure, let's take the matrices A = [1 2; 3 4] and B = [5 6; 7 8]. It can be verified that AB-BA does not equal I.

4. Why is the equation AB-BA = I important in mathematics?

The equation AB-BA = I is important in linear algebra and matrix operations as it is used to define the concept of matrices that commute with each other. It also has applications in the study of eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices.

5. Can the equation AB-BA = I be true for non-square matrices?

No, the equation AB-BA = I is only defined for square matrices. For non-square matrices, the dimensions do not match and the subtraction operation is not possible, making the equation invalid.