Is my solution for a differential equation with a forcing function correct?

• Thread starter zoom1
  • Start date
In summary, a "problem with solution" is a situation that has a clear and effective resolution. To identify a problem that needs a solution, one must recognize a discrepancy between the current situation and desired outcome. The steps to finding a solution involve defining the problem, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating them, and implementing the most effective one. An effective solution should address the root cause, be feasible and sustainable, and undergo ongoing evaluation. While some problems can be prevented, it is important to have effective solutions in place for unforeseen issues.
zoom1
Have an equation;

d2y(t)/dt2 + 5d2y(t)/dt2 + 4y(t) = 2e-2t

Solved the complementary(homogenous) part and the function and got the roots of -1 and -4

so the yh(t) is A1.e-4t + A2.e-t

Forcing function is 2.e-2t so yparticular(t) is A.e-2t

Am I right here ? Or am I supposed to use Ate-2t

Well, if I use the first one, the resultant function doesn't give me the 2.e-2t when I put it into the differential equation, so there is something wrong obviously.

However F(t) or one of its derivatives are not identical to terms in the homogenous solution, so I think I have to use the first option, which is A.e-2t

After proceeding I ended up with yp(t) = 1/3.e-2t

Initial values are y(0) = 0 and y(1)(0) = 0

so, K1 = -1/9 and K2 = -2/9

Still couldn't find where I am wrong
Appreciate if you help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
zoom1 said:
Have an equation;

d2y(t)/dt2 + 5d2y(t)/dt2 + 4y(t) = 2e-2t

Solved the complementary(homogenous) part and the function and got the roots of -1 and -4

For the differential equation you posted, the above roots are not correct. Did you intend for there to be two second order terms in the equation when you posted it?

gulfcoastfella said:
For the differential equation you posted, the above roots are not correct. Did you intend for there to be two second order terms in the equation when you posted it?

Ohh, pardon me, the second term is not the second derivative, it had to be first derivative.

You should double check your calculation for Ae-2t

Office_Shredder said:
You should double check your calculation for Ae-2t

Got it! Thank you ;)

I got a particular solution of y[itex]_{p}[/itex] = -e[itex]^{-2t}[/itex]. See if you get the same.

I get [itex]A_1=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] and [itex]A_2=\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. The particular solution given above is correct.

Double-check your calculations.

1. What is the definition of a "problem with solution"?

A "problem with solution" refers to a situation or issue that has been identified and has a clear and effective solution or resolution.

2. How do you identify a problem that needs a solution?

Identifying a problem that needs a solution involves recognizing a discrepancy between the current situation and a desired outcome. This can be done through observation, research, and consultation with others.

3. What steps should be taken to find a solution to a problem?

The steps to finding a solution to a problem vary depending on the specific issue, but generally involve defining the problem, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating the potential solutions, and implementing the most effective solution.

4. How do you know if a solution to a problem is effective?

An effective solution to a problem should address the root cause of the issue and lead to a desired outcome. It should also be feasible, practical, and sustainable in the long term. Ongoing evaluation and feedback can also help determine the effectiveness of a solution.

5. Can problems with solutions be prevented?

Some problems can be prevented through proactive measures such as risk assessment and mitigation strategies. However, unforeseen problems may still arise and it is important to have effective solutions in place to address them.