Maximizing Chances of Graduate School Admittance: Advice Needed

In summary, your chances of getting into a graduate school of your choosing are high. Faculty at the school you are interested in would likely be supportive of a dual PhD degree. You should research the various schools you are interested in and look for programs that fit your interests and qualifications.
mcooper1986
Hi all, thank you in advance for reading this and potential advice :)

I am an undergraduate at a tier 2 research university in the US. I am going for a combined chemistry (biochemistry emphasis) and applied mathematics degree (I am a year away from getting both degrees). For the chemistry I have been a TA for about a year and have been researching for about 3/4 of a year. My professor for research has told me that he wants to get me published (therefore I am assuming I will have at least one published paper by graduation). My "teaching-adviser" has repeatedly gone out of his way to have me teach one of the courses he teaches (even when I have a full course load of 4 upper level math courses, comp sci course, and a graduate level chem course yowza!). Because of this I am confident that I will get good letters for applying to a graduate school. I have a 3.2 GPA (breaking up with women at critical junctions in the semester has been my Achilles heel lol)... take semesters of 18sh credits (4 chem/comp sci/math courses in a given semester) and I am currently learning JAVA/MatLab/LabView/machine coding/python.

I am assuming that I will probably be top 40th percentile for the Chemistry GRE and I am pretty confident that I would be able to pass the graduate school test for mathematics.

I want to get a dual PhD in chemistry and applied mathematics (planning on major overlapping here :biggrin:).

Four questions...

What are my chances of getting into a graduate level of my choosing (or what would I need to do)?

Would the faculty be supportive of a dual PhD degree?

What would be my best option and what should I be looking for in schools if my field of interest is theoretical fluid dynamics/statics with an emphasis on developing new analytical instrumentation (chromatography specifically)?

Does anybody know of any good fluid dynamic books (advanced or primers)?

Physics news on Phys.org

What exactly do you mean by "dual PhD"? Like, something interdisciplinary across departments? If that's what you mean, your best option would probably be to find a mathematics advisors who frequently collaborates with chemists on theoretical problems (or vice versa) and see if they will supervise you. It might in principle be possible to do a PhD co-supervised across departments, but this would be a logistical nightmare.

On the other hand, if by "dual PhD" you're suggesting literally doing two PhDs concurrently, one in applied math and one in chemistry, then there's no such thing, and I imagine most schools will laugh at you if you tell them that's your intention.

http://provost.gmu.edu/council/forms/Dual_Joint_PhD_Options_2006_04_12.pdf

http://www.human.cornell.edu/hd/dual-phd-jd/index.cfm

Thank you for your opinion, I will look into the collaboration bit. But, two PhD degrees is possible as seen by the above college websites.

Neither of those websites show what you are claiming is possible.

The latter is a joint JD/PhD program, which is certainly not the same thing as two PhDs. A JD is a law degree. There are also joint MD/PhD programs. Such programs take advantage of the very different structure of an academic doctorate and professional doctorate to avoid conflicting obligations. This is not what you are describing.

The former is one university's study of the possibility of offering dual PhD programs with partner institutions. Do you have any evidence that they actually moved forward on it?

The only instances I've ever seen of programs in which you could end up with two PhDs are ones that involve international collaborations on particular projects. These crop up when there's significant cooperation between two universities on a single research objective and students split their time between the two institutions. Then their dissertation, or possibly two similar variants of it, are eligible for a degree from both institutions. Once again, this is not what you are describing. What you say you want to do is do simultaneous doctoral research in two different programs: applied math and chemistry. This, to be perfectly frank, is insane. Short of being accepted to different universities' PhD programs and somehow managing to sustain full-time obligations to both institutions, the option of doing two simultaneous PhDs in distinct fields simply does not exist.

Check out the UMich AIM program.

zapz said:
Check out the UMich AIM program.

I'm assuming this is meant to be a reply to the OP's original question and not my post #4, since that's a single PhD program. In any case, that does look like a good opportunity for OP to pursue what he or she is interested in.

It can be done.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~breech/

Whether it's advisable is something else entirely, and not something I am fit to answer.

Mépris said:
It can be done.

Whether it's advisable is something else entirely, and not something I am fit to answer.

Wow, that's pretty impressive because his dissertations are completely unrelated.. I would have guessed that at least those would be related somehow. Damn, he's a freak.

Mépris said:
It can be done.

Thank you for your responses. I will definitely check the AIM program for U-Mich and I should probably just look up people who have two PhDs and start e-mail correspondence with a few to see what they did and whether it was worth it. Thank you for his website Mépris! I think if I twisted a few arms at my University they would let me go for a double PhD, but I would rather go somewhere else and "expand my horizons".

First, I can't recommend The illustrated guide to a Ph.D. enough for perspective. Having said that...

I have a Ph.D. in chemistry and was jointly advised by two faculty in our department (one experimentalist, one theorist). Outside of the obligatory chemical physics Ph.D. classmates I had (a joint program between the chemistry and physics departments), I knew a handful of people who had co-advisors in other departments, to varying degrees of formality, but still resulting in a single Ph.D. with dissertation, not two (or more!).. The extent of this situation ranged from "I do one or two days every two weeks over there, mostly to use their instruments and such" to "I am well and truly co-advised, to the extent of funding and needing additional coursework to fulfill training grant stipulations." It's certainly possible, but if you can figure out how to pursue your interests without requiring two PhD degrees, it will keep you from being a grad student for 10 years (Breech seems to have started his graduate education in 1998 and finished in 2008) and allow you to get on with your life.

I would also consider cognate departments/programs such as chemical engineering and applied physics - you might find that they're a better match for your interests than trying to make an analytical chemist and fluid dynamicist shake hands.

Likes 1 person

try chemical engineering. its the only place where you'll get macroscopic fluid mechanics and analytical instrumentation to meet.

What are the key components of a strong graduate school application?

The key components of a strong graduate school application include: a strong academic record, letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, relevant research experience, and any additional qualifications or experiences that demonstrate your readiness for graduate-level studies.

How can I improve my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

To improve your chances of being accepted into graduate school, you should focus on maintaining a strong academic record, gaining relevant research experience, networking with potential mentors, and asking for strong letters of recommendation. It is also important to carefully craft your personal statement and to apply to a range of schools to increase your chances of acceptance.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a graduate school application?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a graduate school application include: submitting a generic personal statement, not proofreading your application materials, failing to provide relevant research experience, and not following application guidelines or deadlines. It is also important to be honest and transparent in your application, and to avoid exaggerating or misrepresenting your qualifications.

What should I consider when choosing which graduate programs to apply to?

When choosing which graduate programs to apply to, you should consider factors such as the program's reputation and ranking, the faculty and research opportunities available, the location and cost of the program, and the program's fit with your academic and career goals. It is also important to research the specific admission requirements and application deadlines for each program.

Is it important to visit a graduate school before applying?

While it is not always feasible for applicants to visit every graduate school they are considering, it can be beneficial to visit if possible. Visiting a graduate school allows you to get a better sense of the campus, meet with faculty and current students, and get a feel for the overall culture and atmosphere of the program. It can also help you make a more informed decision about which programs to apply to.