Phd without the need of a master degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of obtaining a PhD without having a Master's degree, which is common in the US. It is also possible to obtain a Master's degree while in a PhD program, but it depends on the specific university's policies. In Canada, it is more common to enter a research-oriented Master's program after a Bachelor's degree and then potentially transition to a PhD program. In Asia, one can directly enter a PhD program with a certain number of credit hours, but otherwise, a Master's degree is required.
Rolen
Gold Member
Do some of you got a Phd without a Master?
I have a professor that only have a phd and 3 posdoc. How this works and how hard it is? And, if you know, what kind of institute or which contry have this kind of program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most physics graduate programs in the US go from B.S. to PhD program. They may or may not give you a master degree along the way.

A terminal master's degree (one that is not gotten along the way to a PhD) is generally set up to be practical and give you industry or employment skills. It does not focus on research like a PhD does. A PhD is about doing research and it need not have anything to do with industry or employment skills.

PhD programs in the US will admit you with a bachelors degree. The first few years of the program are spent taking the masters coursework, and often doing a masters thesis and/or qualifying exam, before proceeding to the PhD. At this point, some schools grant a masters degree, and some don't. You can't skip the masters work, but that doesn't mean you get a masters degree. Once you earn a PhD, it doesn't matter. If you drop out early, it sucks.

When I was in grad school (U of Michigan) I picked up a M.S. while I was in the Ph.D. program, simply by filing an application and paying a small fee after I had a certain number of hours of graduate-level coursework. That was 35 years ago, maybe it's different now.

In Canada, for example admission to MSc programs from BSc programs is much more common and the MSc can be a much more research-oriented degree compared to various course-based MSc programs.

Once admitted, students can either defend the MSc or apply for direct admission into the PhD program after about a year as an MSc candidate. Usually it's only the stronger candidates who jump right into the PhD.

In Asia If you have at least 8 Credit in courses then you directly go for PhD.otherway you need to do Masters.

jtbell said:
When I was in grad school (U of Michigan) I picked up a M.S. while I was in the Ph.D. program, simply by filing an application and paying a small fee after I had a certain number of hours of graduate-level coursework. That was 35 years ago, maybe it's different now.

That is how my university works today.

What is a PhD without the need of a master degree?

A PhD without the need of a master degree is a doctoral degree that can be obtained without first earning a master's degree. This option is typically available for students who excel in their undergraduate studies and demonstrate strong research potential.

What are the requirements for a PhD without a master degree?

The requirements for a PhD without a master degree vary by institution, but generally include a high GPA, strong letters of recommendation, and a compelling research proposal. Some programs may also require applicants to have completed specific coursework in their field of study.

What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD without a master degree?

The main benefit of pursuing a PhD without a master degree is the time and cost savings. By skipping the master's degree, students can complete their doctoral studies faster and potentially save on tuition and other expenses. Additionally, some employers may view a PhD without a master degree as a sign of exceptional academic ability.

Are there any downsides to obtaining a PhD without a master degree?

One potential downside is that students may not have as much experience or knowledge in their field as those who have completed a master's degree. This could make it challenging to compete for certain research or teaching positions. Additionally, some students may struggle with the rigorous demands of a PhD program without the foundational knowledge and skills gained in a master's program.

Can I still pursue a PhD without a master degree if I already have a master's degree in a different field?

It is possible to pursue a PhD without a master degree even if you have a master's degree in a different field. However, some programs may require you to take additional coursework to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for your chosen field of study. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in to determine if this is a feasible option for you.