Learning Peano Arithmetic

In summary, learning PA is necessary to understand the relationship between logic and math. The recommended book is "The Principles of Arithmetic" by Jean van Heijenoort, but a PDF found online may also serve the same purpose. However, it may be challenging without prior knowledge of logic, particularly in the areas of model theory and second-order logic. It may be beneficial to read introductory books on proof theory and set theory before attempting mathematical logic again.
robertjford80
It seems that learning PA is necessary if you want to understand the relationship between logic and math.

Should I track down this book at the library, a chore which will take up an hour of my precious time

The principles of arithmetic, presented by a new method" in Jean van Heijenoort, 1967. A Source Book in Mathematical Logic, 1879–1931. Harvard Univ. Press: 83–97.

Or will this pdf I found on the internet serve the same purpose?

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/linguist...pring-2004/lecture-notes/peano_arithmetic.pdf

Mathematics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:
It seems that learning PA is necessary if you want to understand the relationship between logic and math.

Logic is not my particular area of expertise, but I imagine the level of understanding needed depends on where exactly your interests lie. There are large parts of mathematical logic that depend little on a deep knowledge of PA.

Or will this pdf I found on the internet serve the same purpose?

Unless you have some prior grounding in logic some parts of that pdf will probably be rough going. It mentions connections to model theory and second-order logic at the end, and while it does not appear to require anything especially deep from either, some understanding will undoubtably be missed without it.

I already took a look at it. I keep putting the cart before the horse. I have three books on intro to proof theory and three books on intro to set theory. I'm going to read those first before I give mathematical logic a second shot because my first shot at mathematical logic resulted in failure.

1. What is Peano Arithmetic?

Peano Arithmetic, also known as the Peano Axioms, is a set of axioms that form the basis of arithmetic in mathematics. It was developed by the Italian mathematician Giuseppe Peano in the late 19th century.

2. How is Peano Arithmetic used in learning?

Peano Arithmetic is often used as an introduction to mathematical logic and proof techniques. It is also used to teach the fundamentals of arithmetic, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. What are the benefits of learning Peano Arithmetic?

Learning Peano Arithmetic can help develop critical thinking skills, as it involves using logic and reasoning to prove mathematical statements. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in mathematics and other fields.

4. What are the challenges of learning Peano Arithmetic?

Some challenges of learning Peano Arithmetic include understanding and applying the axioms correctly, as well as developing a strong grasp of mathematical concepts and notation.

5. Can Peano Arithmetic be applied to real-life situations?

While Peano Arithmetic is primarily a theoretical framework, it can be applied to real-life situations in fields such as computer science and cryptography. It also helps develop problem-solving skills that can be useful in various situations.