Understanding Nambu Goldstone Boson & Broken Symmetry

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boson
In summary, the conversation discusses a basic argument regarding broken symmetry and non-invariant vacuum in a lagrangian equation. The term in the lagrangian indicates self-interaction of the field, which means that the field can interact with itself. The conclusion is that the vacuum is not invariant under the u(1) symmetry, leading to the existence of a zero mass particle in the theory. This can be explained through Goldstone's theorem and the Mexican hat potential, which shows a degenerate circle of vacua that spontaneously break the symmetry. The specific form of the potential is introduced to demonstrate this concept.
robousy
I'd like to ask some questions about the following example of broken symmetry and non-invariant vaccum.

The basic argument goes as follows:

[tex] \Cal L= \partial^\mu \phi \partial_\mu \phi \: - \: \mu^2 \phi^* \phi \: - \: \lambda (\phi^*\phi)^2

[/tex]

[tex]

\frac{\partial V} {\partial \phi}=0

[/tex]

[tex]

<\phi>^2=\frac{\mu^2}{2\lambda}

[/tex]

My first question regards the following term in the lagrangian:

[tex]\lambda (\phi^*\phi)^2[/tex]

does this term indicate that the field is self-interacting?
What does that mean for a field to self interact?

My next question regards the result.

Now, the expectation value of the field is shown not to be equal to zero when V is minimized. I have read that

"this implies that the vacuum is not invariant under the u(1) symmetry [tex] \phi \rightarrow e^{i\theta}\phi [/tex] therefore there must be a zero mass particle in the theory."

I really don't understand the conclusion. Why is the vacuum not invariant as I don't see the term |0> anywhere and why does it imply that there is a zero mass particle? I can follow the math but not what the math means.

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the zero mass particle in that theory is the nambu goldstone boson.

Perhaps it would be best if you actually graphed the potential, its kinda hard to explain it on a message board. Now look at the value(s) that minimize the potential, notice if you naively picked a vacuum minima (called it zero say) and perturbed around this point, you would locally see a theory that does not possesses the full symmetry of the entire shebang.

Think of the mexican hat potential, what you have here.. Now, look at the saddle point, notice it possesses a U(1) symmetry. However its wildly unstable at this pt, and will want to drop into a lower vacuum state. The multiple vacua at the bottom of the potential well, here form a circle of degeneracy, and whichever one you end up with upon quantization will spontaneously break this U(1) symmetry.

Now, as to why this implies a zero mass particle, is called Goldstone's theorem. You can think of it as a sort of pure kinetic term, since rolling around in the degenerate circle costs no energy.

Thanks for your response.

I want to ask about the Mexican hat potential. The only occurs when a specific form for V(x) is chosen (as in the example above). What is the motivation/justification for ?introducing that specific form?

Ok - I know now so I don't want to waste anyone time!

:)

1. What is a Nambu Goldstone boson and how does it relate to broken symmetry?

A Nambu Goldstone boson is a type of particle that arises when a continuous symmetry is spontaneously broken in a physical system. It is characterized by its long-range interactions and low energy, and is responsible for restoring the broken symmetry in the system.

2. Can you provide an example of a broken symmetry in physics?

One example of broken symmetry is in superconductivity, where the continuous symmetry of electromagnetic interactions is broken and results in the emergence of a Nambu Goldstone boson known as a Meissner field. This allows for the zero resistance flow of electric current in superconducting materials.

3. How are Nambu Goldstone bosons experimentally observed?

Nambu Goldstone bosons are typically observed through their interactions with other particles in a system. This can be done through experiments such as scattering experiments, where the energy and momentum of the particles involved can be measured, or through spectroscopy techniques where the energy levels of the system can be probed.

4. What is the significance of understanding Nambu Goldstone bosons in particle physics?

Nambu Goldstone bosons play an important role in the Standard Model of particle physics, as they are responsible for the spontaneous breaking of symmetries in the theory. Understanding their behavior and interactions can provide insights into the fundamental forces and particles that govern our universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of Nambu Goldstone bosons?

While Nambu Goldstone bosons are primarily studied in the context of particle physics, their properties have also been utilized in other fields such as condensed matter physics. The discovery of the Higgs boson, which is a type of Nambu Goldstone boson, has also led to advancements in medical imaging technology such as PET scans.