Calculate Energy Needed to Heat 4.6 kg Water

In summary, the energy needed to raise the temperature of 4.6 kg of 0 degrees celsius ice to 106 degrees celsius vapour is 4609.8 kJ. This is calculated by adding the energy needed to melt the solid ice (1534.8 kJ), raise the liquid to 100 degrees celsius (1764 kJ), evaporate into vapor (1035 kJ), and raise the vapor to 106 degrees celsius (276 kJ). These values are determined using the equations Q = mc[delta]t, Q = ml[subscript]f, and Q = ml[subscript]v.
runicle
Determine the energy needed to raise the temperature of 4.6 of 0 degrees celsius ice to 106 degrees celsius vapour given the values for water: 5 marks
-
l[subscript]f= 333kJ/kg, l[subscript]v = 2255 kJ, c[subscript]liquid = 4200 J/kg c[subscript]vapour = 2000 J/Kg degrees celsius
I just have one question, do you need all these equations?:
Q = mc[delta]t, Q = ml[subscript]f Q=ml[subscript]v
and basically add them all up?

Physics news on Phys.org
yup, that's right

I can tell you that it is a four part question.

A) Energy to melt the solid ice.
B) Energy to raise liquid to 100.
C) Energy to evaporate into vapor.
D) Energy to raise vapor to 106.

What is the formula for calculating energy needed to heat water?

The formula for calculating energy needed to heat water is Q = m*c*ΔT, where Q is the energy needed, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.186 joules/gram °C. This means that it takes 4.186 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

How do I find the mass of water?

The mass of water can be found by using a scale to measure the weight of the water. 1 liter of water has a mass of 1 kilogram, so if you have 4.6 liters of water, the mass would be 4.6 kilograms.

What is the change in temperature?

The change in temperature is the difference between the starting temperature and the desired final temperature. For example, if the water starts at 20°C and you want to heat it to 80°C, the change in temperature would be 60°C.

How do I convert the energy needed to heat water into different units?

The energy needed to heat water can be converted into different units by using unit conversion factors. For example, 1 joule = 0.239 calories, so if you have the energy in joules, you can convert it to calories by multiplying by 0.239.