Troubleshooting Voltage Divider Problem for Analog and Digital Circuits

In summary: The analog circuit uses a 15V power supply, resulting in a 0-15V square wave output.- The digital circuit requires a 0-5V input, so Warren used a voltage divider to bring the voltage down.- However, connecting the output of the voltage divider to a digital device caused an offset, resulting in a constant high signal.- Warren tried using separate power and ground for the analog circuits, but the issue persisted.- The source of the offsets could be the input current specifications for the digital logic and the output drive specifications for the previous analog buffer stage.- Instead of a voltage divider, a clipper circuit or an
formulajoe
I designed a circuit that has an analog signal conditioning portion, and a digital circuit to make some measurements on the signal.
The analog circuit is powered by 15V supplys, thus the output is a 0-15V square wave. The digital circuit needs a 0-5V input. I tried using a voltage divider on the output of the analog circuit to bring the voltage down to a 0-5V square wave, which worked fine. When I connected the output of the voltage divider to a digital device, the result was the signal was offset. The offset was high enough that the digital device was only reading a high instead of a changing signal.
I used separate power and grounds for the analog circuits.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you figured out the source of the offsets yet? Look at the input current specications for the digital logic, and the output drive specs for the previous analog buffer stage.

Instead of a voltage divider, you could instead just use a clipper circuit. A resistor in and a diode clamp to 5V will get you a maximum of 5.6V or so. Just be sure that the digital logic input isn't inclined to latch up with the extra 0.6V input for the high signal.

You could also use something like an open-collector stage to convert from the 15V domain to the 5V domain. You'll get an inversion out of an open-collector stage, though, so keep that in mind.

You might need to buffer the output of the voltage divider, or use larger-value resistors.

- Warren

1. What is a voltage divider problem?

A voltage divider problem is a circuit analysis problem where the goal is to determine the voltage across a specific resistor in a series circuit. It involves using the voltage divider rule, which states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the total voltage multiplied by the ratio of the resistor's value to the total resistance of the circuit.

2. How do I solve a voltage divider problem?

To solve a voltage divider problem, you first need to identify the resistors in the circuit and calculate the total resistance. Then, use the voltage divider rule to determine the voltage across the desired resistor. Finally, check your answer using Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of the voltages in a closed loop must equal zero.

3. What is the voltage divider rule?

The voltage divider rule is a mathematical formula used to determine the voltage across a specific resistor in a series circuit. It states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the total voltage multiplied by the ratio of the resistor's value to the total resistance of the circuit.

4. Can I use the voltage divider rule for parallel circuits?

No, the voltage divider rule is only applicable to series circuits. In parallel circuits, the voltage across each resistor is the same as the total voltage of the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of voltage divider problems?

Voltage divider problems are commonly used in electronics and electrical engineering to analyze and design circuits. They are also applicable in other fields such as physics and chemistry, where voltage measurements are needed for experiments and research.