Proving Inverse Tangent Identity: x = 1/2, y = 1/3 vs. x = 2, y = 3

In summary: This means that the equation will not be valid for all x values.When x= \frac{1}{2}, \arctan {x} + \arctan {y} = \arctan { \frac{x+y}{1-xy} }
m00c0w
Show that [tex]\arctan{x} + \arctan {y} = \arctan { \frac{x+y}{1-xy} }[/tex] when [tex]x = \frac{1}{2}\ and \y = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] but not when [tex]x = 2\ and \y = 3[/tex]

I've tried taking the tangent of both sides but I don't know what to do then when I've got [tex]\tan ( \arctan{x} + \arctan{y} ) = \frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that [tex] \tan(u+v) = \frac{\tan u + \tan v}{1-\tan u \tan v} [/tex]

I don't see what the difficulty is. You are aske to show that this equation is satisfied when [itex]x= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] but not when x= 2 and y= 3.

Okay, plug those values in and evaluate. Courtrigrax's method would appear to be a general method of proving that it is an identity: true for all x and y which contradicts the problem!

I'm not clear what the problem is. You are asked to show that this equation is satisfied when [itex]x= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] and [itex]y= \frac{1}{3}[/itex] but not when x= 2 and y= 3.

Okay, plug those values in and evaluate.

Courtrigrax's method would appear to be a general method of proving that it is an identity: true for all x and y, which contradicts the statement of the problem!

Ok, so I used the identity [tex] \tan(u+v) = \frac{\tan u + \tan v}{1-\tan u \tan v} [/tex] but all it does is bring me to the equation [tex]\frac{x+y}{1-xy} = \frac{x+y}{1-xy}[/tex]. I had tried substituting the values in before and found that the statement held true for both sets of x and y, but I assumed I must have done something wrong. I told my teacher and she said I was wrong :confused:

So have I messed up? Or does the equation hold true for x = 2 and y = 3 thus rendering the proof impossible?

The equation does not hold for x = 2 and y = 3. Just plug in the values. Also, can you see that it will work for [tex] x > -1 [/tex] , [tex] y < 1 [/tex]? Why is this?

It is because the left hand side is not defined if [tex] xy = 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
The equation does not hold for x = 2 and y = 3. Just plug in the values. Also, can you see that it will work for [tex] x > -1 [/tex] , [tex] y < 1 [/tex]? Why is this?

It is because the left hand side is not defined if [tex] xy = 1 [/tex]

I plugged in the values and got the following...

[tex]\arctan {2}\ + \arctan {3} = \arctan {-1}[/tex]
[tex]2.35619... = -0.78539...[/tex]

However another solution to [tex]\arctan {-1}[/tex] is [tex]-0.78539... + pi = 2.35619...[/tex] which makes the statement hold true :confused: Am I not allowed to take anything other than the principal value? If so, why not?

Also, you said that [tex] x > -1 [/tex], [tex] y < 1 [/tex]. Are you saying that these are the only values of x and y that the equation will hold for? That doesn't seem to make sense, as if, for example, I use x = -5 and y = 10 the equation will still hold true.

Last edited:
tangent(x) has a discontinuity at [itex]\pi/2[/itex] or approximately 1.57.

1. What is the inverse tangent proof?

The inverse tangent proof is a mathematical proof that demonstrates the relationship between the tangent function and its inverse, the inverse tangent function. It shows that the inverse tangent function is the inverse of the tangent function, meaning that when the two functions are composed, they cancel each other out.

2. Why is the inverse tangent proof important?

The inverse tangent proof is important because it allows us to solve equations involving the tangent function and its inverse. It also helps us understand the geometric interpretation of the inverse tangent function, which is the angle between the horizontal axis and a line passing through a point on the unit circle.

3. How is the inverse tangent proof derived?

The inverse tangent proof is derived using the properties of the tangent function and the inverse tangent function, as well as the properties of inverse functions and composition of functions. It involves manipulating equations and using trigonometric identities to show that the inverse tangent function is indeed the inverse of the tangent function.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the inverse tangent proof?

Yes, the inverse tangent proof has various real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, it is used in calculating the angle of elevation or depression in surveying and in determining the direction of a magnetic field in physics.

5. How can I use the inverse tangent proof in my own research or work?

If your research or work involves solving equations involving the tangent function or its inverse, you can use the inverse tangent proof as a tool to help you solve these equations. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the properties and applications of the tangent function and its inverse, which may be relevant to your work.