Artificial Gravity: Methods & Benefits

In summary, the conversation discusses various methods of achieving artificial gravity, including rotation, magnetism, extreme mass, and a gravity generator. The most cost-effective method is believed to be rotation, but there are concerns about docking with a spinning space station. The conversation also touches on the benefits of artificial gravity for long-term space missions and potential solutions for preventing space sickness. The idea of using velcro for artificial gravity is mentioned sarcastically. Some other ideas, such as a wind tunnel or dressing astronauts in rubber suits for exercise, are also brought up. However, it is ultimately concluded that the engineering challenges and limitations make it difficult to create a space station large enough for artificial gravity to be effective.
TheMuses
I've heard some great stuff about artificial gravity. The different ways it could be achieved. So far, I've heard that it can be done by rotation (reaching momentum), magnatism, keep accelerating something like a spacecraft so that people inside it sticks to the back side of the craft (assuming that it is ALWAYS in acceleration), adding extreme mass, or a gravity generator.

Are there any other ways?

I'm guessing rotation is the most cheapest way to make artificial gravity. How come ISS haven't developed this yet... all they need to do is spin... :rofl:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Why would they want artificial gravity? :tongue:

And besides, it's hard to dock with a spinning space station. :wink:

Why WOULDN'T they want artificial gravity? People live on the ISS for months at a time. Almost everyone who goes in outer space has some kind of space sickness. If you want to know more about that, I found a good link that sums it up.

http://www.spacefuture.com/habitat/healthfitness.shtml

If our future lies out there, we won't be going much further if we keep vomiting all over every spacecraft that leave earth. I heard that one way they solved this problem is by putting exercising machines on the spacecraft . Still, why don't they just design the spacecraft so that they could be rotated when it is in space so that they provide AG and prevent space sickness.

I do agree with you about the docking part though, Hurky. lol

I still want to know if there are other ways to create artificial gravity and if there are, is there any other method cheaper then just rotation.

Actually, NASA originally had plans to include a smaller scale version of "artificial gravity" onboard the ISS. It was called the Centrifuge Accommodations Module (CAM) but it was canceled due to the station's (as expected) cost overruns.

Besides, if the goal for including artificial gravity is to maintain healthy levels of muscle mass/bone etc for the station crew then it was would far easier (engineering-wise) and cheaper to build a rotating module within the station wherein the astronauts step into at regular intervals and get their conditioning, as opposed to rotating the entire station. A gym with a spin, if you will.

The research benefits of having a science lab in a micro-gravity environment is pretty much negated by spinning the whole station.

TheMuses said:
I still want to know if there are other ways to create artificial gravity and if there are, is there any other method cheaper then just rotation.

Velcro on the bottom of astronaut slippers and a "hairy" surface on the station floor. That is if the crew can stand the constant tearing noise made by the velcro action.

LMAO, imagine that...
With all the cutting edge technologies that we are using to save lives and protect humanity. Our only solution to cheap artificial gravity is velcro...
Talk about a breakthrough! :bugeye:

TheMuses said:
LMAO, imagine that...
With all the cutting edge technologies that we are using to save lives and protect humanity. Our only solution to cheap artificial gravity is velcro...
Talk about a breakthrough! :bugeye:

Well, we are talking about NASA here so cutting-edge is expected.

I predict the breakthrough will come in the form of velcro that makes no tearing noise when the two layers are separated :)

Couple of things:

1] The engineering that built the ISS is way inadequate. The ISS would fly apart into a million pieces. The solar panels alone would be toast.

2] Making a space station that is BIG enough to spin so as to provide AG is beyond our current ability. The ISS is only 240x150feet and most of that is solar panel, only a small fraction is habitation. That small fraction can't simply be rotated to provide gravity - you need to have habitation areas that are HUNDREDS of feet or more from the centre of mass, otherwise you get ridiculous rotation rates.

3] Even if you take into account the above two factors, you STILL don't get rid of vomiting. The Coriolis force over these short distances is possibly as bad as zero gravity. You need a space station that MANY HUNDREDS of feet in radius to eliminate the feelings of disorientation.

There is theoretically nothing we can't overcome, even with current technology. But it would be a vast undertaking that, as a project, would make the ISS look like a balsawood airplane.

TheMuses said:
How come ISS haven't developed this yet... all they need to do is spin... :rofl:
The ISS isn't the right shape for that.

I predict the breakthrough will come in the form of velcro that makes no tearing noise when the two layers are seperated

I don't think that's even considered a form of artificial gravity. It's not pulling on any part of the body other then the foot. Not very gravity-like.

NASA's next mission:

ISVS: INternational Space Velcro Station.

( Hey, SimplePie go get the patent, NOW!)

SimplePie said:
I predict the breakthrough will come in the form of velcro that makes no tearing noise when the two layers are separated :)

LOL the movie garden state

I don't know why people haven't thought of a big wind tunnel that blasts air and any objects in the vicinity towards a wall. No centripital force required:rofl:

Ooh, nice -- the wind can blast me against the wall, and my chair, and my desk... and my papers... and my paperweight... and sharp, pointy objects...

(Why wouldn't I have a paperweight in a zero g environment? :uhh:)

If they really want exercise, they can dress up the cosmonauts in thick rubber suits (gimp suits, if you will). They'll make big efforts to bend the joints, which should keep them fit.
This way, they'll save on heat bills too!

Hurkyl said:
Ooh, nice -- the wind can blast me against the wall, and my chair, and my desk... and my papers... and my paperweight... and sharp, pointy objects...

(Why wouldn't I have a paperweight in a zero g environment? :uhh:)

Well i think its a decent idea... maybe not the best idea but still...

I think that a bunch of cosmonauts spinning and jumping off the walls of any space station would hurl it out of orbit .. into deep space or into the atmosphere.

...without proper "get back on course" mechanisms, that is :)

Centrifuges tend not to work for a number of reasons. The engineering, for one. It's immensely difficult and immensely expensive to produce such a structure, especially since it all has to be launched into orbit.

Second is that the radius has to be long enough so that the tangential acceleration experienced by the occupant at one's feet is roughly equivalent to the tangential acceleration at one's head. Building vertically would only worsen this phenomenon.

Third is one of the worst of all, the Coriolis effect. To not experience the side effects(for lack of a better term) of the Coriolis effect, the centrifuge would have to spin at an angular velocity equalling 2 rotations per minute or less. It is thought that most humans can grow accustomed to more rpm's, but even the most adaptive of spacefarer cannot handle more than 7 rpm's.

This would mean that a viable space habitat would need a radius of around a kilometer and a half.

SF said:
I think that a bunch of cosmonauts spinning and jumping off the walls of any space station would hurl it out of orbit .. into deep space or into the atmosphere.

...without proper "get back on course" mechanisms, that is :)
No. The station and the astronaut are a closed system. They can't affect the motion of the station from inside.

DaveC426913 said:
No. The station and the astronaut are a closed system. They can't affect the motion of the station from inside.
You're right.

Haha! Lol

haha wow, i come back 2 years since I opened this blog and it's still here...

so why don't we get some new engineers out there to make a bigger ISS, and this time be smart about it and make it a little comfortable for the little folks that'll soon live in them? this way those little folks might be able to live there much longer before becoming sick from zero gravity.

TheMuses said:
'Blog'? You mean 'post'.

TheMuses said:

If you necropost your own thread, does that mean you are re-incarnated?:smile:

It would take multiple combinations of technologies which still need to advance.

TheMuses said:

so why don't we get some new engineers out there to make a bigger ISS, and this time be smart about it and make it a little comfortable for the little folks that'll soon live in them? this way those little folks might be able to live there much longer before becoming sick from zero gravity.

There has been some progress and some change in direction the past few years. Vomiting is not really the issue; that's relatively easy to deal with. Muscle and bone loss are potential killers for any long space flight, as is blood pressure (though some sort of "g" suit might be able to deal with that). Attention is shifting away from centrifuges (see earlier posts about acceleration gradients and Coriolis forces) toward exercise, as in the vertical treadmill project. If you have further interest, Google Peter Cavanaugh Cleveland Clinic for a good look at current efforts.

Last edited:
Personal centrifuges are the current thinking. A few hours a day is all the doc's think is needed. This is a serious issue for any manned mission to mars.

What is artificial gravity and why is it important?

Artificial gravity is a simulated form of gravity that is created through various methods in a spacecraft or space station. It is important for long-term space missions as prolonged exposure to microgravity can have negative effects on the human body, such as muscle and bone loss.

What are the different methods for creating artificial gravity?

There are several methods for creating artificial gravity, including centrifugal force, linear acceleration, and rotating habitats. Centrifugal force involves spinning a spacecraft or space station to create a sense of gravity. Linear acceleration involves accelerating a spacecraft in a straight line to simulate gravity. Rotating habitats use a rotating structure to create a gravitational pull towards the outer edges of the structure.

What are the benefits of artificial gravity for space travelers?

The benefits of artificial gravity for space travelers include maintaining the health and well-being of astronauts by counteracting the negative effects of microgravity. It also allows for more comfortable living conditions and the ability to perform tasks that require a sense of direction and orientation.

Can artificial gravity be used on other planets?

Yes, artificial gravity can potentially be used on other planets with lower levels of gravity. However, the methods for creating artificial gravity may differ depending on the specific conditions of the planet.

What are the challenges of implementing artificial gravity on a spacecraft or space station?

The main challenges of implementing artificial gravity on a spacecraft or space station include the cost and technical complexity of building and maintaining the necessary structures and systems. It also requires careful consideration of safety measures and potential risks to the crew.