Finding Charge Using Coulomb's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given in a first year university physics class where a lightweight spring is used to measure charge. The spring is attached to the ceiling with a 1.0 g mass hanging from it, and two small plastic beads are attached to the opposite ends of the spring. Using Coulomb's law and the spring constant, the charges of the beads are calculated. The conversation ends with a solution being found for the problem.
Canadian
Ahhh, just typed out a big long post and I did something wrong and now it's gone. Oh well. This problem was given on a practice problem sheet in my first year university physics class.

Homework Statement

You have a lightweight spring whose unstretched length is 4.0 cm. You're curious to see if you can use this spring to measure charge. First, you attach one end of the spring to the ceiling and hang a 1.0 g mass from it. This stretches the spring to a length of 5.0 cm. You then attach two small plastic beads to the opposite ends of the spring, lay the spring on a frictionless table, and give each plastic bead the same charge. This stretches the spring to a length of 4.5 cm.

Homework Equations

F = kx, F = K((q1)(q2))/r^2

K = 8.988×109 N m^2 C^-2

The Attempt at a Solution

I will call the two beads q1 and q2.

First: I calculated the spring constant using the information from the hanging mass part of the question.

F = kx
(0.001 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)= k (0.01 m)
0.981 kg/s^2 = k

Second: Using the spring constant from the previous part I calculated the force needed to push the spring apart when the beads are on either end.

F = kx
F = (0.981 kg/s^2)(0.005 m)
F = 0.004905 kgm/s^2

Third: Using the force from above, and using coulombs law calculate the charges. I know that q1 and q2 are equal, q1 =q2 = q

F = K((q1)(q2))/r^2
0.004905 kgm/s^2 = ((8.988×109 Nm^2/C^2)(q1)(q2))/(0.045 m)^2

I am unsure of how to proceed from here, should I treat q1 and q2 as 2*q and solve from there? or not?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nice solution, looks good to me. as u mentioned [tex]q_1=q_2 =q[/tex], so [tex]q_1 q_2 = q^2[/tex]... what more do u need eh ? :smile:

Thanks so much, sometimes I amaze myself at my stupidity :redface: . I was trying to treat q*q as 2q instead of q^2.

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. Who discovered Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law was discovered by French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in 1785. He conducted experiments using a torsion balance to determine the force between two charged objects and found that it followed a precise mathematical relationship.

3. What are the units of measurement for Coulomb's Law?

The units of measurement for Coulomb's Law are Newtons (N) for force, Coulombs (C) for charge, and meters (m) for distance. The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k*q1*q2/r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, q1 and q2 are the charges in Coulombs, r is the distance in meters, and k is the proportionality constant.

4. How does Coulomb's Law apply to everyday life?

Coulomb's Law has practical applications in various areas of everyday life, such as in the functioning of electronic devices, the attraction and repulsion of magnets, and the behavior of lightning and static electricity. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules.

5. What is the relationship between Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation?

Coulomb's Law and Newton's Law of Gravitation both describe the force between two objects, but they apply to different types of interactions. Coulomb's Law deals with the electrostatic force between charged particles, while Newton's Law of Gravitation deals with the gravitational force between massive objects. However, both laws follow the same mathematical relationship of being directly proportional to the product of the charges or masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.