Specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving heat and specific heat capacity. The first problem asks for the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 10 degrees Celsius and its thermal capacity. The student's answer for thermal capacity is 1500 J/deg Celsius, while the book's answer is 15000 J/deg Celsius. The second problem involves cooling water in a freezer and the student's answer is 1680 J/min, while the book's answer is 1700 J/min. The student realizes their mistake in the first problem and clarifies that their answer for energy needed is 15000 J, but the heat capacity is still different from the book's answer. They conclude that their answer is correct
mumay
help! need help here because my answers are different from the answer on the book. just wanted to make sure that i am right. these are the problems:

1. How much heat is needed tor aise the temperature by 10 deg celsius of 5 kg og a substance of specific heat capacity 300J/kg deg celsius? what is the thermal capacity of the substance?

- i got the answer for the specific heat capacity but for thermal capacity my answer is 1500 J/deg celsius and the book's answer is 15000 J/deg celsius.

2. If a freezer cools 200 g of water from 20 deg celsius to its freezing point in 10 minutes, how much heat is removed per minute from the water?( this is under specific latent heat of fusion but i think i solved it using specific heat capacity)

- my answer is 1680 J/min but the book's answer is 1700 J/min.

please help me. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your book rounded to 2 sig figs (10 minutes, 20 degrees) for number 2

For question 1, You say the answers are in J/oC, but I don't understand that since you are using the 10oC in your calculation. If you multiply your 1500 J/oC by 10oC, you get 15000 J. Does the book really say 15000 J/oC as the answer?

thank you for your reply. I am so sorry, made a mistake there. I have solved the energy needed which is 15000J but the heat capacity that i got is different from the answer in the book. my answer is 1500 J/deg celsius and in the book is 15000 J/deg celsius.

thanks

turdferguson said:
Your book rounded to 2 sig figs (10 minutes, 20 degrees) for number 2

thanks! meaning my answer is right and i just have to round it off to the nearest hundred/ simply follow the rules in significant figures. thanks again!

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one unit of mass by one degree Celsius. It is a physical property of a substance and is typically measured in units of J/kg·K.

2. How is specific heat capacity different from latent heat of fusion?

Specific heat capacity is a measure of the amount of energy required to change the temperature of a substance, while latent heat of fusion is the amount of energy required to change the state of a substance from solid to liquid (or vice versa) without a change in temperature.

3. How do specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion affect the behavior of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance determines how quickly it will change temperature when heated or cooled. The latent heat of fusion determines the amount of energy needed to melt or freeze a substance, which can affect its melting and boiling points.

4. How are specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion related to the concept of heat transfer?

Specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion are both important factors in heat transfer. Specific heat capacity is used in calculations to determine how much energy is needed to heat or cool a substance, while latent heat of fusion is involved in phase change processes, such as melting and boiling, where heat is absorbed or released.

5. How is specific heat capacity and latent heat of fusion measured in experiments?

Specific heat capacity can be measured through experiments where the substance's temperature is changed and the amount of energy needed is measured. Latent heat of fusion can be measured through experiments where the substance is heated or cooled until it reaches its melting or boiling point, and the amount of energy required is measured. Both of these properties can also be found in tables or calculated using known values.