The most revolutionary technology

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Technology
In summary, applied science has the potential to cause the greatest societal advance in human history by enabling modern technology, medicine, and communication.
Loren Booda
What applied science has [had] the potential to cause the greatest societal advance in human history?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The semiconductor, which forms the basis of all modern computing. From the internet to the iPod, it's at the heart of the current technological paradigm.

Loren Booda said:
What applied science has [had] the potential to cause the greatest societal advance in human history?

Cement science?

The semi conductor is a good guess. But I will still have to stick to my guns with my standard answer to this question. Metallurgy. Specifically, the understanding and perfection of steel.

This might not qualify as applied science in the intent of your question, but I'd go with linguistics. If we can't communicate, we can't accomplish anything of significance.

computer science, if someone will breed it with some logic ;)

All of these answers are too recent. I say agriculture.

The printing press. It enabled dissemination of knowledge to the masses.

D H said:
All of these answers are too recent.
Yep, we speak of things that are yet to come.

Synthetic rubber. Consider our transportation without it.

2)Electromagnetism and 1)ChemistryElectromagnetism works for;

-Light
-Computers
-Modern Science
-Science tools
-Modern Medicine
-Factories
-Electric Veichules
-Refrigeration
-CommunicationChemistry

-Medicine
-Drugs
-Toxicology
-Materials
etc.

Averagesupernova said:
Synthetic rubber. Consider our transportation without it.

And consider how much worse our population explosion would be without it... :uhh:

This is one of the most vague questions I have ever read. Before or after the industrial revolution? What is meant by "societal advance" exactly? Does this apply only to modern Homo sapiens sapiens or all the way back to our earliest "human" ancestors?

Teleportation, as trips to the moon & Mars took too long to... wait nevermind.

Blenton said:
Teleportation, as trips to the moon & Mars took too long to... wait nevermind.

Damned time-travelers... :grumpy:
I thought that I had a trap set for the likes of you.

Anyhow, as the sign in Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon reads: "Time travelers, strictly cash."

in my opinion it was the ability for early modern man to speak..language.
neanderthals could not develop this basic communication skill and lost out big time to a physically weaker competitor.

this is not an applied science tho..
i will go with alchemy..the search to change iron. lead into GOLD...

Danger ,,,sign me up for next Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon tour!

Ranger Mike said:
Danger ,,,sign me up for next Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon tour!

You know it, pal. I hope that you like Keith's.

Danger said:
Damned time-travelers... :grumpy:
I thought that I had a trap set for the likes of you.

Anyhow, as the sign in Callahan's Cross-Time Saloon reads: "Time travelers, strictly cash."

Danger, a sign on the side of a van that reads "Free Candy for Time Travelers" isn't considered an elaborate trap. No matter what instruments of death are inside...

Drakkith said:
Danger, a sign on the side of a van that reads "Free Candy for Time Travelers" isn't considered an elaborate trap. No matter what instruments of death are inside...

Damn, but I hate being caught like that! Regular assorted candy would have been a sure giveaway, but I thought that the offering of only strawberry Twizzles was rather subtle. I guess that I'm just getting too old to fly with today's flock.

1. What is "the most revolutionary technology"?

"The most revolutionary technology" is a term used to describe the latest and most groundbreaking advancements in any field of science or engineering.

2. How is "the most revolutionary technology" determined?

The determination of "the most revolutionary technology" is subjective and can vary depending on the source. It is often based on the potential impact, practical applications, and level of innovation of the technology.

3. What are some examples of "the most revolutionary technology"?

Some examples of "the most revolutionary technology" include artificial intelligence, gene editing, quantum computing, and renewable energy sources.

4. How does "the most revolutionary technology" impact society?

"The most revolutionary technology" has the potential to greatly impact society by changing the way we live, work, and interact with the world. It can improve efficiency, create new industries, and address global issues.

5. What are the ethical considerations surrounding "the most revolutionary technology"?

The ethical considerations surrounding "the most revolutionary technology" vary depending on the specific technology. Some may raise concerns about privacy, safety, and the potential for misuse, while others may have ethical implications in terms of social and economic inequality.