Anybody know about electrical components?

In summary, the conversation is about finding specific components for building a power source for a lifter. These components include an Isolation Transformer, 500 Watt Dimmer, Capacitor, Car Ignition Coil, HV Tripler, and Resistor. The speaker mentions that these can potentially be found in old cars, TVs, computers, and heaters, but also suggests building some of the components oneself or finding them on eBay. They also mention the potential use of a Variac and the idea of making the lifter self-powered.
SolarMan777
I need to find out where I can obtain:
- A Isolation Transformer : 220VAC, 50 hz
- 500 Watt Dimmer : 220VAC
- Capacitor : 3uF 660VAC Polypopylen Capacitor
- Car Ignition Coil : Preferably Ducellier but almost any will do
- HV Tripler : 30 or 40 KV
- Resistor : 470 kOhms, 5 Watts

I am building a power source for my lifter, and this seems like the best way of going about it.

Can I find these components in any old cars, TV's, computers, heaters, or any easy to find electrical devices? Please feel free to comment!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've built the lifter before, but with a different power supply. As for your parts, a car's ignition coil transformer will not work well at 220 volts input. It's designed for a switched 12V pulses. At 220 volts you will blow it up.

Best high powered dimmers are called Variacs, can handle 500 Watts easily.

HV tripler assembly can be found in really old tv sets, but you could built one your self with a couple high voltage diodes and capacitors. It's called a cockroft walton voltage multiplier.

All of these can be found on ebay.

Hope that helps.

Are you talking about one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionocraft

First time I saw one was early 60's.
Always kinda wondered if it could be made to carry its own power supply.
Looks like it hasn't been done yet.

1. What are the basic types of electrical components?

The basic types of electrical components include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and transistors. These components are used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How do I determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor is determined by its color bands. Each color represents a specific value, and by reading the color code, you can determine the resistance in ohms. There are also online color code calculators available to make the process easier.

3. Can I mix different types of batteries in a circuit?

No, it is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in a circuit. Each type of battery has a different voltage and capacity, which can cause unequal discharge and potentially damage the circuit.

4. How do I test a capacitor?

To test a capacitor, you can use a multimeter set to the capacitance mode. Place the probes on the capacitor terminals and the multimeter will display the capacitance value. If the value is significantly lower or higher than the labeled value, the capacitor may be faulty.

5. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing flow of electricity, while DC (direct current) circuits have a steady flow of electricity in one direction. AC is typically used for power transmission, while DC is used for electronic devices.