Confused by simple quantum problem

In summary: Using the commutation relation, you can see that if |E> is a bound state of the Hamiltonian, then <E|-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}|E> = <E|E'> =0
einai
Hi, I came across a problem which seems to be pretty simple, but I'm stuck :confused: .

Given a Hamiltonian:
[tex]H=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+V(\vec{x})[/tex]

If |E> is a bound state of the Hamiltonian with energy eigenvalue E, show that: [tex]<E| \vec{p} |E>=0[/tex]

-----------------------------------
So I've been trying something like this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2m}<E|\vec{p} \cdot \vec{p}|E> + <E|V(\vec{x})|E> = E<E|E> = E[/tex]

but I have no idea how to proceed from here.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres several ways to do this, one elegant way, one brute force way, one abstract mathematical way (probably not suitable if this is a first course).

I'll give you a hint on the brute force way. You are going to want to think of what the operator P is. Strictly speaking, in three dimensions it looks like

P = -i hbar * del. In one dimension its p = -i hbar d/dx

Use the Schroedinger formalism and plow away =)

The abstract method hint is to think of what P does to your state space. Hmm, it looks like a translational operator. Maybe what you are looking for is a statement of translational symmetry.

for a bound state, the wavefunction drops to zero at infinity, which allows you to use integration by parts to show that

[tex]\langle p\rangle=m\frac{d\langle x\rangle}{dt}[/tex]

and in a stationary state (i.e. energy eigenvalue), all expectation values are time independent, so the derivative vanishes.

Last edited:
Thanks, Haelfix and lethe :redface: .

Haelfix said:
P = -i hbar * del. In one dimension its p = -i hbar d/dx

Use the Schroedinger formalism and plow away =)

I thought about using the operator form of p, but I wasn't sure how it acts on the energy eigenstate |E>. Can I just say that after it takes the x derivative of |E>, the state becomes orthorgonal to the original |E>, ie,

[tex]<E|-i\hbar \frac{d}{dx}|E> = <E|E'> =0[/tex]

because |E'> is now orthorgonal to |E>?

Hmm...I don't think I'm doing the right thing.

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. I used the commutation relation p = - i m hbar*[H,x].
Thanks.

1. What exactly is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It describes the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles, and how they interact with each other.

2. What is a quantum problem?

A quantum problem is a problem that involves understanding and applying the principles of quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of particles and their interactions. These problems can range from simple calculations to complex theoretical concepts.

3. Why is quantum mechanics so confusing?

Quantum mechanics can be confusing because it often goes against our everyday experiences and intuitions. The behavior of particles at the quantum level often defies our classical understanding of physics, making it difficult to wrap our minds around.

4. How do scientists solve quantum problems?

Scientists solve quantum problems using a combination of mathematical equations, sophisticated models, and experiments. They use the principles of quantum mechanics to make predictions about the behavior of particles and then test these predictions through experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications in modern technology, including transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as telecommunications, cryptography, and medical imaging.