X + 3^x < 4 ? Spivak got me on Chap. 1

• Thread starter dotman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding all values of x that satisfy the inequality x + 3^x < 4. Various approaches have been tried, such as using exponential functions and trying to solve for a general solution, but no success has been achieved. The idea of finding where equality occurs and guessing at potential values is proposed, but no definite solution has been found.
dotman
Must be something missing from my repertoire-- Spivak got me in Chapter 1! :-)

Trying to find all x that satisfy:

[tex] x + 3^x < 4 [/tex]

I've tried everything I can think of. Here are a few lines I've run down, to no avail:

[tex] x + 3^x < 4 \Rightarrow e^{x+3^x} < e^4 \Rightarrow e^x \cdot e^{3^{x }}< e^4 \Rightarrow e^x \cdot e^{e^{x ln 3}} < e^4 [/tex] , and its more complicated.

[tex] x + 3^x < 4 \Rightarrow 3^x < 4 - x \Rightarrow x \cdot ln 3 < ln (4-x) [/tex], and I'm unsure how to usefully proceed.

What I thought to be most promising was:

[tex] x + 3^x < 4 \Rightarrow x + e^{x ln 3} < 4 [/tex], unsure how to proceed.

Does [itex] x + e^{ax} = b[/itex] have a general solution for x? What am I missing? I'm beginning to wonder if I should make some general arguments based around all [itex]e^x[/itex] being positive, or some such thing, after some manipulation.

Physics news on Phys.org
First notice if x decreases, x + 3x decreases. Then you just need to find where you get equality, and it's everything less than that point

Yeah, I see qualitatively that that is the case. The problem is, I don't see how to solve for the exact value-- [itex] x + 3^x = 4[/itex] is no easier for me.

I'm certain I could come up with the solution numerically in no time, but then, I'd still have this knowledge gap :P

Thanks!

Try guessing. x=0? x=2? Hmm ...

1. What does "X + 3^x < 4" mean?

This expression is an inequality that represents a mathematical statement. It means that the sum of the value of X and the value of 3 raised to the power of X is less than 4.

2. Who is Spivak and what does "Chap. 1" refer to?

Spivak is a mathematician and author of the textbook "Calculus" which is commonly used in introductory calculus courses. "Chap. 1" refers to the first chapter of this textbook.

3. What is the significance of the inequality "X + 3^x < 4" in calculus?

This inequality is significant in calculus because it represents a mathematical relationship that can be analyzed using the techniques and concepts learned in calculus. It may also be used to solve real-world problems involving rates of change and optimization.

4. How does one solve the inequality "X + 3^x < 4"?

There are various methods for solving this inequality, such as graphing, substitution, or using calculus techniques like taking derivatives. The specific method will depend on the context and the level of mathematical knowledge of the individual.

5. What are the possible solutions to "X + 3^x < 4"?

The solutions to this inequality will depend on the values assigned to X. Generally, there may be multiple solutions, and they may be expressed as a range of values or as specific numerical values. It is important to also consider any restrictions on the variable X that may apply.