What is the most beneficial minor for an engineering student?

In summary, a Mechanical Engineering student is seeking advice on what minor would be most beneficial for an engineering career. Suggestions such as Mathematics, Engineering Management, and Engineering Leadership/Entrepreneurship are recommended. The student is interested in pursuing a career in the energy field and is considering a Computer Technology minor. It is noted that computer skills are typically covered in a normal degree program and the student's Pre-engineering associates degree should also provide a strong foundation for their future career.
Pliffy
Hey guys, I am a Mechanical Engineering student, and I am having a hard time trying to decide what the most beneficial minor would be for an engineering field.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what career path you want to follow.

Mathematics or Engineering Management are usually good choices.

Engineering Mechanics should be easily obtainable, but that may not be diverse enough for you. I agree that Mathematics is also a good choice. If available, maybe do an Engineering Leadership / Entrepreneurship minor.

Thank y'all for your replies. I am planning on going into the energy field, however i can't get more specific than that, as i have not figured that out for myself yet. The Engineering Management sounds very attractive and beneficial though. One minor that has crossed my mind as well is a Computer Technology minor, what do you guys that about that?

Also, within the next few semesters i will be getting my Pre-engineering associates degree, do you guys think that will be of any benefit to me?

Thanks guys,

-Matt

I'm not sure how much Computer Technology would benefit you if you are a Mech. Eng. You will definitely need computer skills, but you should get all that you need in your normal degree program.

Your pre-engineering degree should have taken care of all the physics, math, and other general education requirements, so yes it will benefit you.

1. What is an engineering student minor?

An engineering student minor is an academic program that allows students to supplement their major degree with a secondary concentration in a specific area of engineering. It typically involves taking a set of courses related to the chosen minor subject.

2. How do I choose an engineering student minor?

Choosing an engineering student minor involves identifying your interests and goals, as well as considering the requirements and availability of minors offered by your university. It is important to select a minor that complements your major and aligns with your career aspirations.

3. Can I pursue an engineering student minor even if my major is in a different field?

Yes, engineering student minors are designed to be interdisciplinary and can be pursued by students with different majors. However, it is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure that you meet the prerequisites for the minor courses.

4. What are the benefits of completing an engineering student minor?

Completing an engineering student minor can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to gain knowledge and skills in a specialized area of engineering, making you a more well-rounded and versatile engineer.

5. How does an engineering student minor affect my graduation requirements?

An engineering student minor typically requires students to take a few additional courses, which may extend the time to complete your degree. However, many universities have flexible credit transfer policies, allowing students to apply some of the minor courses towards their major requirements.