QM Oscillator: Find Eigenvalues & Eigenvectors of \hat{a}^2

In summary, the task is to write down the operator \hat{a}^2 in the basis of energy states |n>, determine its eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and use the given relation to solve for the eigenvectors. The first part is straightforward, but the second part involves finding new eigenvectors that are linear combinations of the original ones with eigenvalues that are negatives of each other.
div curl F= 0

Homework Statement

"Write down the operator [tex] \hat{a}^2 [/tex] in the basis of the energy states [tex] |n> [/tex]. Determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator [tex] \hat{a}^2 [/tex] working in the same basis.

You may use the relation: [tex] \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty} \frac{|x|^{2k}}{(2k)!} = cosh(|x|) [/tex]"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, I've got the abstract version of the operator to be:

[tex] \hat{a}^2 = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \sqrt{n(n-1)} |n-2><n| [/tex]

but the second part is giving me some trouble. I'm not too sure how to set about it, I've tried a few different approaches but nothing ends up using the above relation. I've tried a coherent state: [tex] \hat{a} |n> = \lambda |n> [/tex], and I've tried a ket composed on the basis n: [tex] |\psi> = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} C_n |n> [/tex].

I'd be grateful if somebody could show me the way with this question, I've just hit a brick wall with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]\hat{a}^2[/itex] commutes with [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] so any eigenvector of the latter is an eigenvector of the former. So to compute the eigenvalues, just operate [itex]\hat{a}^2[/itex] on a coherent state.

To continue along the lines of the previous post, assume |A> is an eigenvector of a^2 with eigenvalue A^2. Does this mean it is an eigenvector of a with eigenvalue A? Well, first of all, we see it could just as well have eigenvalue -A. And because of this, we could in general expect to find:

|A> = |B> + |C>

where a|B>=A|B> and a|C>=-A|C>, giving:

a|A> = A |B> - A |C>

so that |A> is not an eigenvector of a unless either |B> or |C> is zero, and yet:

a^2 |A> = A^2 |B> + A^2 |C> = A^2 |A>

In other words, while all the eigenvectors of a will still be eigenvectors of a^2, there will in general be some new ones as well, given by linear combinations of a-eigenvectors with eigenvalues that are negatives of each other. With a little work you can show these are the only new eigenvectors.

What is a QM oscillator?

A QM oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior due to the effects of quantum mechanics. It is commonly described as a particle in a potential well.

What is the operator \hat{a} in QM oscillator?

The operator \hat{a} represents the annihilation operator in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the lowering of a particle's energy level in a quantum system.

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors in relation to \hat{a}^2?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are mathematical terms used to describe the characteristic values and corresponding vectors of an operator such as \hat{a}^2. In the context of QM oscillator, the eigenvalues represent the possible energy levels of the system, while the eigenvectors represent the corresponding wavefunctions.

How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated for \hat{a}^2?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors for \hat{a}^2 can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and applying the operator \hat{a}^2 to the wavefunction. The resulting equation can then be solved to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

What is the significance of finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of \hat{a}^2 in QM oscillator?

Finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of \hat{a}^2 allows us to determine the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of a QM oscillator. This information is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of the system and can be used to make predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.