Century Growth Problem: Rate of Change

In summary, the problem involves calculating the total increase in time over 27 centuries due to Earth's rotation slowing down. The formula for sum of an arithmetic sequence is used, with the number of days in 27 centuries as the value for n and the change in time increase per day as d. However, the result may not have a physical interpretation.
simplemuse
[SOLVED] Century Growth Problem: Rate of Change

1. Problem: Because Earth's rotation is gradually slowing, the length of each day increases: The day at the end of 1.0 century is 1.0 ms longer than the day at the start of the century. In 27 centuries, what is the total (in hours) of the daily increases in time (that is, the sum of the gain on the first day, the gain on the second day, etc.)?

2. Homework Equations :
Sum of An Arithmetic Sequence:
Sn={n[1+(n-1)d]}/2

3. Attempt:
So my train of thought is to use the formula for sum of an arithmetic sequence, by having n=985500, which is the amount of days in 27 centuries. Since the difference every century is by 1 millisecond, I did this to find the change in time increase per day:
1ms/(100 years*365 days). This value is 2.74e-5. which I used as d. Plugging in the rest of the values in the formula, I determined there was a net change of 1.38e7ms over the course of 27 centuries.
S(985500)=[985500(1+(985499*.0000274)]/2
Converting this value to hours yields a change of 3.83 hours over the course of 27 centuries. However, my answer is incorrect. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
simplemuse said:
2. Homework Equations :
Sum of An Arithmetic Sequence:
Sn={n[1+(n-1)d]}/2

I believe the sum should be

Sn = (n/2) · [2·a1 + (n-1)·d] .

So I get a slightly larger value. (Note: this is the sum of the time gains, not the amount by which the day would be lengthened. So this result will not have a physical interpretation.]

What does the "a" represent in the arithmetic sequence you have above?

1. What is the Century Growth Problem?

The Century Growth Problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the rate of change of a population or other quantity over a long period of time, typically 100 years.

2. Why is the Century Growth Problem important?

The Century Growth Problem is important because it allows us to understand and predict the growth or decline of a population or quantity over a long period of time. This information is crucial for making informed decisions and planning for the future.

3. How is the rate of change calculated for the Century Growth Problem?

The rate of change for the Century Growth Problem is calculated by dividing the difference between the starting and ending values by the number of time periods (in this case, 100 years). This gives us the average rate of change over the entire period.

4. What factors can affect the rate of change in the Century Growth Problem?

The rate of change in the Century Growth Problem can be affected by a variety of factors such as natural disasters, disease outbreaks, economic conditions, and human interventions (such as immigration or birth control).

5. Can the Century Growth Problem be used to predict the future?

While the Century Growth Problem can provide valuable insights and predictions, it is important to note that it is based on assumptions and historical data. Therefore, it should be used as a tool for making informed decisions, but it cannot accurately predict the future with certainty.