Is this hydrogen fuel technology possible?

In summary,-NASA has been using solar panels power hydrogen generators in space for this purpose.-The hydrogen is turned into h20 which can be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen.-The solar panels provide most of the power, but at least you don't need batteries which are the most costly because they need to be replaced over time.
mgb_phys said:
Thats the idea, it's main advantage is that it stores more energy per unit weight than batteries and it's quicker to refill a tank of H2 than charge a battery at a gas station.
On the downside the tank is large and heavy and the infrastructure to distribute it to gas stations is difficult and expensive.

But the infrastructure needed is very similair to existing oil company systems so it's a question of how quickly oil companies can get money out of government vs how quickly batteries can be improved!

I'm also researching ways to generate electricity from combining hydrogen and water. The systems I'm aware of that convert HHO to water is a HHO Combustion engine (without mixing with fossil fuels) or a fuel cell.
I'm under the impression that fuel cells are far to costly to scale up to supply the amount of power required by a home.
Hydrogen combustion generators I presume are similar to automobile engines in that they convert about 20% of the HHO into useful electricity opposed to heat. I do not know the figure. But I know a typical automobile is about 20% efficient in converting petroleum into kinetic energy.

The purpose of this post is simply asking wither or not fuel cells and combustion engines are the only available closed-loop (excluding the required electricity during electrolysis) systems for generating electricity. I haven't been able to find any alternatives.

Until fuel cells become more affordable and have a longer lifespan and until the hydrogen combusion engine gets more efficient (although I'm pretty sure it has been maximized), electricity storage via HHO will remain largely impractical for home-scale use. Unless there is an alternative! Are there any?

Regards,

-Taylaron

Engineering news on Phys.org
I really don't see a reason to even consider hydrogen as a way to store power for your home. While it is easily re-used, as you can simply separate the hydrogen from the oxygen in the water that the reaction creates, that takes electricity.(Not to mention the fact that hydrogen leaks through just about any container) And if you're using electricity to separate the hydrogen, why not go one step further and just use the power from the power lines for electricity. It's more efficient and takes no extra equipment. The only reason I see hydrogen being used anywhere is replacing a battery, as its energy density is much greater than a standard battery. That is pretty much only useful in automobiles, where weight is a great factor in fuel efficiency and such.

<h2>1. Can hydrogen fuel technology be used as a sustainable energy source?</h2><p>Yes, hydrogen fuel technology has the potential to be a sustainable energy source. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and can be produced from renewable sources such as water and biomass. When used in fuel cells, hydrogen produces only water as a byproduct, making it a clean and environmentally friendly energy source.</p><h2>2. How does hydrogen fuel technology work?</h2><p>Hydrogen fuel technology works by converting the chemical energy of hydrogen into electricity. This is done through a process called electrolysis, where an electrical current is used to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then compressed and stored in a fuel cell, where it reacts with oxygen to produce electricity, heat, and water.</p><h2>3. Is hydrogen fuel technology safe?</h2><p>Yes, hydrogen fuel technology is considered safe. Hydrogen is a non-toxic and non-corrosive gas, and fuel cells have no moving parts, reducing the risk of mechanical failure. However, like any energy source, proper handling and storage procedures must be followed to ensure safety.</p><h2>4. How efficient is hydrogen fuel technology?</h2><p>Hydrogen fuel technology is highly efficient, with a conversion efficiency of up to 60%. This means that 60% of the energy in the hydrogen is converted into electrical energy, with the remaining 40% being lost as heat. In comparison, traditional combustion engines have an efficiency of only 20-30%.</p><h2>5. What are the limitations of hydrogen fuel technology?</h2><p>One of the main limitations of hydrogen fuel technology is the current lack of infrastructure. Hydrogen fueling stations are not as widespread as gas stations, making it difficult for consumers to access hydrogen fuel. Additionally, the production of hydrogen is still relatively expensive, although advancements in technology and economies of scale are helping to reduce costs.</p>

1. Can hydrogen fuel technology be used as a sustainable energy source?

Yes, hydrogen fuel technology has the potential to be a sustainable energy source. Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe and can be produced from renewable sources such as water and biomass. When used in fuel cells, hydrogen produces only water as a byproduct, making it a clean and environmentally friendly energy source.

2. How does hydrogen fuel technology work?

Hydrogen fuel technology works by converting the chemical energy of hydrogen into electricity. This is done through a process called electrolysis, where an electrical current is used to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then compressed and stored in a fuel cell, where it reacts with oxygen to produce electricity, heat, and water.

3. Is hydrogen fuel technology safe?

Yes, hydrogen fuel technology is considered safe. Hydrogen is a non-toxic and non-corrosive gas, and fuel cells have no moving parts, reducing the risk of mechanical failure. However, like any energy source, proper handling and storage procedures must be followed to ensure safety.

4. How efficient is hydrogen fuel technology?

Hydrogen fuel technology is highly efficient, with a conversion efficiency of up to 60%. This means that 60% of the energy in the hydrogen is converted into electrical energy, with the remaining 40% being lost as heat. In comparison, traditional combustion engines have an efficiency of only 20-30%.

5. What are the limitations of hydrogen fuel technology?

One of the main limitations of hydrogen fuel technology is the current lack of infrastructure. Hydrogen fueling stations are not as widespread as gas stations, making it difficult for consumers to access hydrogen fuel. Additionally, the production of hydrogen is still relatively expensive, although advancements in technology and economies of scale are helping to reduce costs.