How to Solve the Dimensionless Schrodinger Equation for a Wave Function?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dimensionless Schrodinger equation for a wave function in quantum physics. The equation involves substituting values for time and position, but the speaker is unsure if they should just put in the given values or if it is more complex. They also mention difficulty with typing the symbol for h-bar.
rt11
Hi I am new to quantum physics and i have been asked to find the dimensionless schrodinger EQ for a wave function it says sub in t = (2/ohm)*tor and x = sqrt(h-bar/m*ohm)z now do i just put in these values and diffreinchiate threw ? or is it more complex ?

thank you for your time Ross Taylor

Physics news on Phys.org
rt11 said:
Hi I am new to quantum physics and i have been asked to find the dimensionless schrodinger EQ for a wave function it says sub in t = (2/ohm)*tor and x = sqrt(h-bar/m*ohm)z now do i just put in these values and diffreinchiate threw ? or is it more complex ?

thank you for your time Ross Taylor
What does the Schoedinger equation look like to start? In particular are the variables already x and t or are those to be new variables? My point is that you can't just "sub in" (2/ohm)*tor and [itex]\sqrt{h-bar/m* ohm()z}[/itex]: those aren't "things" that you can substitute, just units of measurement! You want to multiply and divide your equation by quantities that have those units until you get the right combinations (and then replace them by variables).

how do u get the equation bit up ? its not h-bar its h/2pi but i carnt get the symbol for that if u could help me out by telling me how to do that ill re put it up

1. What is the dimensionless Schrodinger equation?

The dimensionless Schrodinger equation, also known as the time-independent Schrodinger equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum mechanical systems evolve over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the wave function of a system.

2. How is the dimensionless Schrodinger equation derived?

The dimensionless Schrodinger equation is derived from the full Schrodinger equation, which takes into account both time and position. The time-independent version is derived by assuming that the system is in a stationary state, meaning that the probability of finding a particle in a certain location does not change over time.

3. What does the dimensionless parameter in the Schrodinger equation represent?

The dimensionless parameter in the Schrodinger equation is known as the reduced Planck's constant (ħ). It represents the ratio of a particle's momentum to its wavelength and is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics.

4. What is the significance of solving the dimensionless Schrodinger equation?

Solving the dimensionless Schrodinger equation allows us to determine the wave function of a quantum mechanical system, which can then be used to calculate other physical properties of the system such as energy levels and probabilities of different outcomes. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How is the dimensionless Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The dimensionless Schrodinger equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, including in the fields of quantum chemistry, materials science, and nanotechnology. It is also used in the development of quantum computing technology, which has the potential to greatly enhance computing power and solve complex problems in various industries and fields of research.