Fish Bowl Optics: Find Power, Focus Length & Magnification

• Thread starter kpl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the optical power and focus length of the water-air interface in a fish bowl with a fish at a certain distance from the surface. The magnification power and expression for the distance between the observer and the fish's optical image were also discussed. The formula used is the refraction at a single surface formula, with the values of n1=1.33 (water) and n2=1 (air). The fish is on the refracted light side, so the sign of s should be negative.
kpl
Q. There is a fish in a spherical fish bowl of radius r filled with water. The fish is at a distance l from the surface of the tank. An observer in air views the fish at a distance d from the tank.

Please see the attachment for the image.

I am supposed to find the optical power and focus length of the water-air interface, the magnification power of the fish tank and an expression for the distance (L) between the obsever and optical image of the fish.

Here are the attempts I have made:

Optical power = (n1-n2)/(-r)

Focus Length = f'=n2/P = -n2r/(n1-n2)
I used f' because I think it is a virtual image?

Magnification Power = -(Image Distance/Object Distance) =-((L-d)/-r)

L=(-n1/r + n2/l)

Can anyone tell me if these are correct or if I am at least going along in the right direction?

Attachments

• OpticsQ1.doc
    71 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the refraction at a single surface formula
n1/s+n2/s'=(n1-n2)/r

here, n1=1.33 (water); N2=1 (air)
and note the sign of s should be negative as the fish is not on the incident-light side of the surface.

1. What is the purpose of fish bowl optics?

Fish bowl optics is a method used to determine the power, focus length, and magnification of a lens or optical system. It is commonly used in the field of optics to calculate and understand the properties of different lenses.

2. How does fish bowl optics work?

Fish bowl optics involves placing a lens or optical system in a water-filled fish bowl and observing the behavior of light passing through it. By measuring the size and location of the image formed by the lens, the power, focus length, and magnification can be calculated using basic principles of optics.

3. What factors affect the results of fish bowl optics?

The accuracy of the results obtained from fish bowl optics can be affected by several factors such as the type and quality of the lens, the properties of the water used, and the accuracy of the measurements taken. It is important to control these variables to obtain reliable results.

4. What are the limitations of fish bowl optics?

Fish bowl optics is a simple and inexpensive method for determining the properties of a lens, but it has its limitations. It cannot be used for complex optical systems or lenses with non-uniform refractive indices. It also does not take into account factors such as aberrations and diffraction, which can affect the accuracy of the results.

5. How is fish bowl optics useful in scientific research?

Fish bowl optics is a useful tool for researchers and scientists in the field of optics. It allows for a quick and easy way to determine the properties of a lens or optical system, which can then be used to design and optimize complex optical systems. It also provides a hands-on approach to understanding the principles of optics and can be used in educational settings to demonstrate these concepts.