Webpage title: How to Find a Rectangle on a Given Plane?

In summary, to find four points that represent a rectangle with width w and length l on a plane with equation Ax+By+Cz+D=0, one can find three points A, B, and C such that the dot product of vector AB and vector BC is 0, indicating perpendicularity. From there, one can determine the remaining two sides of the rectangle by ensuring that they are parallel to the opposing vectors and have the same magnitude.
falro
Hi,

If I have the equation for a plane, Ax+By+Cz+D=0, how can I find four points that represent a rectangle width w and length l on that plane? (assuming the given point on the plane is the center of that rectangle..)

Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
I would find two points on the plane. Let's call them point A and point B. Then I would find vector AB. Then I would have to find another vector that is parallel to that vector with the same magnitude but also exists on the plane. Let's say that vector is vector CD. However, you would have to make sure that vector AC and vector BD are equal in magnitude and are also parallel.

Actually a better way would be to find three points on the plane, A, B, C, such that the dot product of vector AB and vector BC is 0, meaning that the two vectors are perpendicular. From there you have one side for the length and another side for the width. You can then find the other two sides, making sure of course that they are parallel to the opposing vectors and are of the same magnitude.

1. How do you define a rectangle in a plane?

A rectangle is a quadrilateral with four sides that are all equal in length and four angles that are all right angles.

2. What are the characteristics of a rectangle in a plane?

A rectangle has four sides, four right angles, and two pairs of parallel sides.

3. How can you determine if a shape is a rectangle in a plane?

To determine if a shape is a rectangle in a plane, you can check if it has four sides that are equal in length, four right angles, and two pairs of parallel sides.

4. What is the formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle in a plane?

The formula for finding the perimeter of a rectangle in a plane is 2(length + width).

5. How can you find the area of a rectangle in a plane?

The area of a rectangle in a plane can be found by multiplying the length by the width.