What type of solar panel is needed to power a 6A desk fan?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a solar powered fan without using batteries. The current fan has a power requirement of 6A at 120VAC or 3A at 240VAC. It is suggested to use a DC fan and a DC-DC converter for a more efficient solution. The necessary size of the solar panel is discussed, taking into account the low efficiency of solar cells and the conversion process. Ultimately, it is decided to use the fan with a regular power source instead of a large solar panel.
marzelvane
Hi Eureka

I'd like to make a solar powered fan, but don't know how to convert the power from a solar panel to the fan. Perhaps I don't have to do anything, I can just hook it up?

Requirement: If the sun is out the fan should be running. At night time the fan should not run. In other words, I'd prefer to not use batteries.

Here are the current specs:

I bought a small desk fan:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2254749

There is a small plastic housing (about 1inch by 1inch) that has four wires attached (looks like 2 going in and 2 going out). On this housing it says:

6A 120 VAC
3A 240 VAC

I have not purchased a solar panel yet. What type of solar panel do I need to power this thing (i.e. power rating, voltage, amps, etc). It seems to me like 6A is a lot...

In my head I picture: mounting a solar panel outside, running the leads directly to the fan (but bypassing the fan's transformer) and then the fan will just run directly off the solar panel.

Thanks for any help everyone.

-m

Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the power requirement for that fan. P = V * I. What do you get? Something around 1 horsepower with those numbers ( 1hp = 750W approx. ). That's a lot of power to be getting off of a small solar panel. You will need several square meters of solar panel to power that fan -- is that really what you want?

Also, you will lose power in the conversion from the DC output of the solar cells to the 110Vrms input for the fan. A better solution would be to use a DC fan (preferably smaller), and use a DC-DC converter to convert between the solar cell output and the fan input.

Max insolation at noon is about 1kW/m^2, and simple solar cells are 10%-15% efficient, IIRC. You can do the math to figure out how many square meters of solar panel you need for powering various devices. Remember to factor in the low efficiency of solar cells, and multiply in about 85% for the DC-DC (or lower for DC-AC) conversion...

Thanks for the reply! I was worried about that being the case...there is no way I want a solar panel that large lol. I'll just plug this damn thing in the wall.

What is a homemade solar powered fan?

A homemade solar powered fan is a type of fan that is powered by solar energy. It uses a small solar panel to convert sunlight into electricity, which then powers the fan.

How does a homemade solar powered fan work?

A homemade solar powered fan works by using a photovoltaic (PV) cell, also known as a solar panel, to collect sunlight. The PV cell converts the sunlight into electricity, which is then used to power the fan’s motor.

What materials are needed to make a homemade solar powered fan?

The materials needed to make a homemade solar powered fan include a small solar panel, a DC motor, a battery, a switch, wires, and a fan blade.

What are the benefits of using a homemade solar powered fan?

There are several benefits to using a homemade solar powered fan. It is environmentally friendly, as it uses renewable energy from the sun. It also does not require any electricity from the grid, making it a cost-effective option. Additionally, it can be used in remote areas where electricity may not be readily available.

Can a homemade solar powered fan be used as a primary cooling source?

No, a homemade solar powered fan is not powerful enough to be used as a primary cooling source. It is best used as a supplemental fan to provide a gentle breeze and circulate air in a room. It is not a replacement for an air conditioner.