What is the maximum output of a vehicle alternator and how can it be calculated?

In summary: Vehicle alternators will have a rectifier and regulator built into them to produce 13-14v DC, a typical modern car unit generates about 50A. So if you have a car alternator and want to create a generator, you would need to connect it to a series of car batteries to create a theoretical output of 650w. The Alternator would also need to be cooled to prevent damage. Alternative energy websites may have more information on how to make a generator from a car alternator.
Michamus
Hello everyone,

I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer to. I am interested in salvaging a vehicle alternator in an attempt to create a homemade generator. I understand that household electronics' needs are measured in watts, but I can't seem to figure out how to calculate the theoretical output on a given alternator's output. From what I understand 1kw requires about 1.3hp, but I am lost on the rest.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Electircal power is volts * amps.
Vehicle alternators will have a rectifier and regulator built into put out around 13-14v DC, a typical modern car unit generates about 50A.

The AC part of the alternator (if you can get at it) generates 3phase AC at low voltage - it's not going to be that suitable for running houshold electricals.

Alright, so if I have 50amp * 13v, that would mean I would have a theoretical output of 650w? What I am planning on doing is connecting the generator to a series of car batteries. Then the batteries will be connected to a 1-1.5kw Inverter.

Sounds reasonable - if you are planning to run it continually you want to look at cooling. It might also be better to get a heavy duty alternator from a truck or bus.

Search the alternative power websites - they have a lot of info about the best junk-yard solutions.

I really appreciate all the help. Are there any particular alternative energy sites you would recommend?

Likes cabraham
No, sorry - I remember reading one about windpower that made their own generators out of a Volvo wheel hub, some super strong magnets and their own coil windings.
There was some reason why car alternators weren't suitable - mostly their lifetime if run continuously, volvo wheel bearings apparently run for ever!

I think I should throw out a big part of my plan, just to see what everyone thinks. I am planning on testing this wacky magnetic motor design [link deleted]. I really don't think it will work, but I want to try it. If it fails I am planning on using a standard Gasoline Engine as the driving mechanism (not much wind where I plan on using it, and mobility is a must).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you understand that the field windings in an auto alternator requires that you provide them a voltage inorder for the unit to give an output? So your batteries will need to be able to supply the winding voltage. Not very efficient for wind generation. You should try to find a dc generator instead.

Michamus said:
I am planning on testing this wacky magnetic motor design [link deleted] . I really don't think it will work...
It is a pretty obvious hoax.

russ_watters said:

the only thing i can imagine that might make that work is if it sets up an oscillation in the hand, and minute amounts of force from his muscles are transferred to the disc. a bit like using a treadle to power an old sewing machine wheel, but with a magnetic instead of mechanical linkage.

dlgoff said:
Do you understand that the field windings in an auto alternator requires that you provide them a voltage inorder for the unit to give an output? So your batteries will need to be able to supply the winding voltage. Not very efficient for wind generation. You should try to find a dc generator instead.

To be honest, I have little to no understanding of this field. I am a hands on kind of person. I am planning on using the alternator as a component of a home-made Gasoline-engine generator (after the expected failure of the magnetically driven motor, I don't find any harm in at least trying.)

russ_watters said:

I am not saying it is true, just that I don't understand why it can't be. He seems to present a valid demonstration, at least to the uninformed such as myself. Is there any theoretical reasoning you can demonstrate as to why it wouldn't? Maybe you'll save me money and time that I would otherwise have wasted. Any help is appreciated.

1. What is a vehicle alternator output?

A vehicle alternator output is the amount of electrical energy produced by the alternator in a vehicle. The alternator is responsible for converting mechanical energy from the engine into electrical energy to power the vehicle's electrical systems.

2. How is vehicle alternator output measured?

Vehicle alternator output is typically measured in amps (amperes) or volts. Amperes measure the amount of current flowing in a circuit, while volts measure the amount of electrical potential or pressure. Both of these measurements are important in determining the overall output of the alternator.

3. What factors can affect vehicle alternator output?

There are several factors that can affect the output of a vehicle alternator, including the speed of the engine, the condition of the alternator, the age and condition of the battery, and the electrical load on the vehicle. Extreme temperatures and high electrical demand can also impact the alternator's output.

4. How do I know if my vehicle's alternator output is low?

If your vehicle's alternator output is low, you may notice dimming headlights, weak or dead battery, or difficulty starting the engine. You may also see warning lights on your dashboard, such as the battery or alternator light. It's important to have your vehicle's output checked by a professional if you suspect it is low.

5. Can a vehicle alternator output be increased?

Yes, it is possible to increase the output of a vehicle's alternator. This can be done by upgrading to a higher capacity alternator or by optimizing the electrical system of the vehicle. It's important to consult with a professional before making any changes to the alternator or electrical system to ensure that it is done safely and effectively.