Are Electromagnetic Waves the Key to Wireless Energy Transmission?

In summary: This is why it's difficult to transmit energy over long distances using electromagnetic waves.2) Concentrating on the electric field here. It will according to Coulomb's law decrease with distance squared. But is the inducing back-and-forth-mechanism counteracting this decreasing?Yes, it is. The back-and-forth-mechanism is what keeps the electric field from decreasing too much.
_F_
Hi all,

Can someone please elaborate on some of the following ideas so that I can get these down correctly?

1. is an electromagnetic wave a form of a self-perpetual motion machine?

2. since electric and magnetic fields contain energy, is this the hope that people (Tesla!) have for wireless energy transmission?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
_F_ said:
Hi all,

Can someone please elaborate on some of the following ideas so that I can get these down correctly?

no.

2. since electric and magnetic fields contain energy, is this the hope that people (Tesla!) have for wireless energy transmission?

i don't know.
Thank you.

olgranpappy said:
no.
why not?

i don't know.
okay.

Thank you.

_F_ said:
why not?
Obviously because a perpetual motion machine violates the conservation of energy.

Don't follow this line of conversation any more, discussion of such crackpot theories is useless and is prohibited by the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374".

Last edited by a moderator:
_F_ said:

A "perpetual motion machine" usually means a device that can supply energy indefinitely without an external energy source. You can certainly extract energy from an electromagnetic wave, but you have to have an energy source in order to produce the wave in the first place. And when you extract energy from the wave, you absorb the wave, so if you want the process to continue, you have to generate new waves.

I'm not trying to argue that you can use electromagnetic waves to harness any type of perpetual motion. I was just asking if an elecromagnetic wave is a type (maybe "type" is the wrong word here?) of perpetual motion?

Or maybe I'm mistaken. Do electromagnetic waves die out over some distance?

In space there is no friction, so anything with any initial velocity would go on forever and that's not really the type of perpetual motion I'm talking about. But in air or some other medium where there is friction,... perhaps electromagnetic waves die out? if not, why not?

_F_ said:
I'm not trying to argue that you can use electromagnetic waves to harness any type of perpetual motion. I was just asking if an elecromagnetic wave is a type (maybe "type" is the wrong word here?) of perpetual motion?

Or maybe I'm mistaken. Do electromagnetic waves die out over some distance?

In space there is no friction, so anything with any initial velocity would go on forever and that's not really the type of perpetual motion I'm talking about. But in air or some other medium where there is friction,... perhaps electromagnetic waves die out? if not, why not?

Indeed, in dielectric media electromagnetic waves are attenuated and so do "die out".

_F_ said:

No, it is not. Maybe you are thinking that because the electric field induces the magnetic field that this back and forth motion is "perpetual". However, any undamped (and thus highly idealized) classical motion appears "perpetual" in this sense. Consider, for example, a steel marble rolling back and forth in the bottom of a glass bowl. Without damping there is no reason why the marble should ever stop rolling back and forth. But so what? This marble and bowl system is no more a perpetual motion machine than your wave of light.

Really interesting. We were just discussing this here, when looking at Maxwell 3 and Maxwell 4, and how the fields are inducing each other back and forth, in a sort of (but maybe not really) perpetual way. Still, I can't see that "_F_" had his question answered, "Do electromagnetic waves die out over some distance". Think of this:

1) EM waves are emitted from a source, traveling through vacuum. Do they ever die out? Do they faint with distance? If so, what damps the wave? Where in Maxwell's equations can I see this damping effect?

2) Concentrating on the electric field here. It will according to Coulomb's law decrease with distance squared. But is the inducing back-and-forth-mechanism counteracting this decreasing?

Like _F_ I'm also eager to know! :smile:

Mårten said:
1) EM waves are emitted from a source, traveling through vacuum. Do they ever die out? Do they faint with distance? If so, what damps the wave? Where in Maxwell's equations can I see this damping effect?

When you get far enough away from the source, the amplitude of the wave decreases as 1/r, if there is nothing to absorb it. The irradiance of the wave (power per unit area) is proportional to the square of the amplitude, so it decreases as [itex]1/r^2[/itex]. This is what one expects from energy conservation: the area of a sphere centered on the source increases as [itex]r^2[/itex], so the total energy that passes through successive concentric spheres remains constant.

You don't see this directly in Maxwell's equations, but rather in their solution for e.g. the [oscillating] Hertzian dipole. Equations 1090 and 1091 at the link show the E and B fields in the "far field" of such a dipole.

2) Concentrating on the electric field here. It will according to Coulomb's law decrease with distance squared. But is the inducing back-and-forth-mechanism counteracting this decreasing?

You could say that, yes. The average E for the oscillating dipole decreases as 1/r instead of [itex]1/r^2[/itex], that is, less rapidly.

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that is characterized by the combined presence of an electric field and a magnetic field. These waves can travel through a vacuum and do not require a medium to propagate.

How are electromagnetic waves created?

Electromagnetic waves are created when an electrically charged particle is accelerated. This acceleration produces a changing electric field, which in turn creates a changing magnetic field. The interaction between these two fields creates an electromagnetic wave that propagates through space.

What is the speed of electromagnetic waves?

The speed of electromagnetic waves is constant and is equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This speed is denoted by the letter "c" and is considered a fundamental constant in physics.

What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible electromagnetic radiation, from very low frequency radio waves to high frequency gamma rays. This spectrum is divided into different regions based on the wavelength and frequency of the waves, each with its own unique properties and applications.

How do electromagnetic waves interact with matter?

Electromagnetic waves can interact with matter in a variety of ways depending on the properties of the material. Some materials, such as metals, can reflect or absorb electromagnetic waves, while others, such as glass, can transmit them. The type and strength of the interaction depend on factors such as the frequency and intensity of the waves, and the composition and structure of the material.