So, the question is, Can we see antimatter?

• Thread starter benk99nenm312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antimatter
In summary: It is a bit tricky to explain without going into the deep math.In summary, the concept of "motion in time" is not a scientifically accurate or useful way to describe the movement of particles. Antimatter behaves the same way as matter in terms of movement and can emit photons like matter can. There is no limitation to seeing antimatter other than through annihilation or charge, and the popular idea that antimatter travels backwards in time is not entirely accurate according to the principles of Quantum Electro-Dynamics. Antiparticles can travel forward in time while their state propagates backwards, and this can be explained through the charge conjugation,
benk99nenm312
Hey. I was wondering, can we 'see' antimatter? By this, I mean, does a positron ever emit photons, or can we shine a light on antimatter and see what it gives off? Are we limited to 'seeing' antimatter by other means, such as annhilation, or charge?

From my understanding, antimatter travels backwards in time. We see things that move forwards in time. However, I am uncertain as to whether photon emissions are a common property of antimatter.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermilab produces, accelerates, and stores antiprotons. They go the same way as protons if the magnetic field is reversed, the opposite way if it isn't. Protons and amtiprotons sometimes travel in the same vacuum chamber at the same time, in opposite directions. Antiprotons sometimes collide with protons, but they always go forward in time.

benk99nenm312 said:
Hey. I was wondering, can we 'see' antimatter? By this, I mean, does a positron ever emit photons, or can we shine a light on antimatter and see what it gives off? Are we limited to 'seeing' antimatter by other means, such as annhilation, or charge?

From my understanding, antimatter travels backwards in time. We see things that move forwards in time. However, I am uncertain as to whether photon emissions are a common property of antimatter.

Thanks in advance.

Antimatter behaves the same way as the matter counterpart.

When the Advanced Photon Source first came online, it used positrons to go around the synchrotron ring to generate light. They now use electrons in much the same way.

Zz.

Antimatter emmits antiphotons. These are, of course, just photons. So, yeah, antimatter shines.

(Things move in time? When did that start happening?)

Phrak said:
Antimatter emmits antiphotons. These are, of course, just photons. So, yeah, antimatter shines.

(Things move in time? When did that start happening?)

Thanks.

I assume you meant backwards in time, which is a principal of Quantum Electro-Dynamics. I am not familiar with any notion or theory that disclaims this principal, but it seems that a number of people know about a different way of looking at antimatter.

Quantum states of a particle and an antiparticle can be interchanged by applying the charge conjugation (C), parity (P), and time reversal (T) operators. This is the familiar CPT conjugation. Time is clearly a conjugate, so I am confused as to why so many think antimatter travels forwards in time. Maybe it's something I don't know.

benk99nenm312 said:
Thanks.

I assume you meant backwards in time, which is a principal of Quantum Electro-Dynamics. I am not familiar with any notion or theory that disclaims this principal, but it seems that a number of people know about a different way of looking at antimatter.

Quantum states of a particle and an antiparticle can be interchanged by applying the charge conjugation (C), parity (P), and time reversal (T) operators. This is the familiar CPT conjugation. Time is clearly a conjugate, so I am confused as to why so many think antimatter travels forwards in time. Maybe it's something I don't know.

'Motion in time' is one of my pet peeves, I guess. When something moves in space, at one time it occupies one spatial position, and at a later time it occupies anther spatical position.

Now, reapply this meaning to time by replacing all instantiations of "space" with "time":

"When something moves in time, at one time it occupies one temporal postion, and at a later time it occupies another temporal postion."

It is a gramatically vacuous. Things do not move in time anymore than a line moves on a graph.

Last edited:
benk99nenm312 said:

This is the ugly popular science description again, trying to make particle physics as spooky as possible :-)

The antiparticles propagates (we don't like travel as a concept in particle physics) forward in time, but their state propagates backwards. It is a bit tricky to explain without going into the deep math.

I really don't understand the logic that we see things that move forward in time, we see things (with our eyes) things whos photons reaches our eyes.

Photon interactions are possible for every particle that interact with the electromagnetic-force. And what differs from a proton and an antiproton is just that they have opposite quantum numbers.

One example of antiparticles that DO NOT participate in the electromagnetic is the anti-neutrino, since it's particle counterpart, the neutrino, does not do so.

benk99nenm312 said:
Thanks.

Pick up any book on relativistic quantum mechanics and study =)

Phrak said:
"When something moves in time, at one time it occupies one temporal postion, and at a later time it occupies another temporal postion."

It is a gramatically vacuous. Things do no move in time anymore than a line moves on a graph.

A change in the position of space means a change in the position of time. You have said it yourself. If an object is here, and then it is there... there is a chronological advancement in the position of time.

Time is a dimension. We can move around in it, accelerating, decelerating, but not stopping. If things didn't move in time, then we would all be frozen solid, our very atoms and molecules at a stand still. Time is necessary to consider.

malawi_glenn said:
The antiparticles propagates (we don't like travel as a concept in particle physics) forward in time, but their state propagates backwards. It is a bit tricky to explain without going into the deep math.

Thanks. :smile: I think I'm starting to get it. But, aren't the particles determined by their states. If their states move backwards in time, why not the particles themselves? (It's okay to give me a little math.)

Question 1. There's a high-voltage power line that connects Austin, Texas, and San Antonio, Texas. San Antonio is 100 miles southwest of Austin.

Which way does the power line run?

a) South and west
b) North and east
c) Depends whether it's made of matter or antimatter
d) The question is vacuous

Now add one more dimension.

Question 2. A particle is in Austin, Texas, today and an identical particle is in San Antonio, Texas, tomorrow.

Which way did the particle propagate?

a) Forwards in time and to the southwest
b) Backwards in time and to the northeast
c) Depends whether its a particle or an antiparticle
d) The question is vacuous

Last edited:
benk99nenm312 said:

The modern way :smile:.

I can't resist quoting a passage from Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell. The last section, Poetic but confusing metaphors, of Chapter II.2, Quantizing the Dirac Field, reads:

"In this closing chapter let me ask you some rhetorical questions. Did I speak of an electron going backward in time? Did I mumble something about a sea of negative energy electrons? This metaphorical language, when used by brilliant minds, the likes of Dirac and Feynman, was evocative and inspirational, but unfortunately confused generations of physics students and physicists. The presentation given here is in the modern spirit, which seeks to avoid these potentially confusing metaphors."

benk99nenm312 said:
Thanks. :smile: I think I'm starting to get it. But, aren't the particles determined by their states. If their states move backwards in time, why not the particles themselves? (It's okay to give me a little math.)

A physical positron propagating forward in time is the state electron propagating backward in time.

benk99nenm312 said:
From my understanding, antimatter travels backwards in time. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is already in the far past. We may safely forget it. Less of worries :)

I was a joke. Let us admit that there is no antimatter but differently charged particles. (Some of them were discovered earlier, some later.) Then there will be no problem in understanding their dynamics.

Bob.

Last edited:
benk99nenm312 said:
A change in the position of space means a change in the position of time. You have said it yourself. If an object is here, and then it is there... there is a chronological advancement in the position of time.
Measurable motion in space is velocity; [itex]\Delta X / \Delta T [/itex]. What are the units and measure of motion in time?

Time is a dimension. We can move around in it, accelerating, decelerating, but not stopping. If things didn't move in time, then we would all be frozen solid, our very atoms and molecules at a stand still. Time is necessary to consider.
Motion in space is a physically measurable with units of velocity. How would you measure motion in time and what would be its units? Physics is an experimental science; it ain't philosophy.

malawi_glenn said:

Hey, malawi. It's been a while. Particles and antiparticles, as far as we know, are arbitary under relabeling--unless things have changed recently--aren't they?

But I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Measurable motion in space is velocity; [itex]\Delta X / \Delta T [/itex]. What are the units and measure of motion in time?

Motion in space is a physically measurable with units of velocity. How would you measure motion in time and what would be its units? Physics is an experimental science; it ain't philosophy.

What are the units and measure of motion in time? How about seconds, or miliseconds, or even Planck time intervals. These are simple measures of chronological advancement.

"Motion in space is physically measurable with units of velocity." And so motion in time is equal to Delta X / Velocity. Velocity is real, right?:uhh:

Even better is this. E=mc^2. So, c=(E/m)^1/2 . c = the speed of light, which involves a measure of time. A measure of simply time can be found by simplifying the dimensional analysis product of that equation.

The very notion of Delta T indicates that a measure of time is necessary. If I throw a baseball, is it flying through the air and in my palm? Obviously not. The baseball has to move somewhere in time. This is not philisophical by any means. How do you explain Special and General Relativity?

Last edited:
Mia copa.

No Problemo.

I do that sometimes too.:smile:

Phrak said:
Hey, malawi. It's been a while. Particles and antiparticles, as far as we know, are arbitary under relabeling--unless things have changed recently--aren't they?

But I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

A physical antiparticle propagating forward in time, is the state of a particle propagating backward in time

(since the negative frequency solutions to KG and Dirac has as Green's function G(t'-t) whereas the positive frequency solutions to KG and Dirac has Green's function G(t-t') )

The flow of fermion number and charge of the antifermion is thus opposite to the fermion.

By the way, Physics has clearly many philosophical claims and elements. The statement that Physics is a experimental science is in fact a philosophical statement ;-)

malawi_glenn said:
A physical antiparticle propagating forward in time, is the state of a particle propagating backward in time ;-)
When Fermilab collects 8-GeV antiprotons in a ring (Debuncher Ring), and transfers them to the Accumulator Ring, they go forward in time from one ring to another just like protons, except with the magnet polarities reversed.

Bob S said:
When Fermilab collects 8-GeV antiprotons in a ring (Debuncher Ring), and transfers them to the Accumulator Ring, they go forward in time from one ring to another just like protons, except with the magnet polarities reversed.

Exactly. I think I understand this subject now. The particle itself goes forwards in time, but its state of being mimics a backwards in time motion (CPT Conjugation). Things like mass are conserved, while things like charge aren't. But the particle itself is not going backwards in time. Am I right.. Malawi?

If we could produce and store macroscopic quantities of antimatter, any such quantity would "shine" because there's no such thing as a perfect vacuum, and any impurities in the vacuum chamber would eventually collide with antimatter particles and annihilate.

Of course, this "shining" would mostly occur in the energetic X-ray part of the spectrum.

a positron propagating forward in time, is described by an electron state propagating backward in time. This is elementary relativistic quantum mechanics.

1. What is antimatter?

Antimatter is a type of matter composed of antiparticles, which have the same mass as their corresponding particles but have opposite electric charge. When antimatter and matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a large amount of energy.

2. Can we create antimatter?

Yes, we can create antimatter in particle accelerators or through radioactive decay. However, it is extremely difficult and expensive to produce and store enough antimatter for practical use.

3. How do we detect antimatter?

We can detect antimatter by observing the products of its annihilation with regular matter. This can be done with specialized detectors that can differentiate between particles and antiparticles.

4. Is antimatter dangerous?

Antimatter itself is not inherently dangerous. In fact, it is used in medical diagnostics and treatments. However, the process of creating and storing antimatter is dangerous and requires strict safety measures to avoid accidental annihilation.

5. Can we see antimatter with the naked eye?

No, we cannot see antimatter with the naked eye as it is invisible. However, we can indirectly observe its presence through its interactions with regular matter.