How does a full subtractor work?

• Thread starter mattbonner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a full subtractor is a digital circuit that performs subtraction of two binary numbers. It takes in three inputs (minuend, subtrahend, and borrow bit) and generates the difference and borrow output. The truth table for a full subtractor consists of three inputs (A, B, and Bin) and two outputs (Diff and Bout). A full subtractor is different from a half subtractor as it can take into account the borrow input from the previous stage. The basic components of a full subtractor are Ex-OR gates, AND gates, and OR gates. It can be implemented using logic gates and connected to other digital circuits for larger operations.
mattbonner
I understand how a full-adder functions, it's simple enough. However, I'm having a hard time grasping how a full-subtractor works...

I found this diagram

http://www.art-sci.udel.edu/ghw/phys245/05S/assignments/answers/images/13-35sub.gif

but I'm not understanding how the Borrow-in's and the Borrow-out's work...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem , i got this project i need to do with full subtractor but i can't figure it out how should i do it. Its a subtractor for 2 bit binary numbers.

1. How does a full subtractor function?

A full subtractor is a digital circuit that performs subtraction of two binary numbers. It takes in three inputs: minuend, subtrahend, and a borrow bit from the previous stage. Based on the inputs, it generates the difference and a borrow output that is used as the borrow input for the next stage.

2. What is the truth table for a full subtractor?

The truth table for a full subtractor consists of three inputs (A, B, and Bin) and two outputs (Diff and Bout). The inputs A and B represent the two binary numbers to be subtracted, and Bin represents the borrow input from the previous stage. The outputs Diff and Bout represent the difference and the borrow output, respectively. The truth table is as follows:

A B Bin Diff Bout
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1 1
0 1 0 1 1
0 1 1 0 1
1 0 0 1 0
1 0 1 0 0
1 1 0 0 0
1 1 1 1 0

3. How is a full subtractor different from a half subtractor?

A half subtractor is a digital circuit that can only subtract two single-bit binary numbers and does not take into account the borrow input. In contrast, a full subtractor can subtract two single-bit numbers as well as take into account the borrow input from the previous stage. This allows for the subtraction of larger binary numbers using multiple full subtractors in a cascade.

4. What are the basic components of a full subtractor?

A full subtractor consists of two Ex-OR gates, two AND gates, and one OR gate. The two Ex-OR gates are used to generate the difference output, while the two AND gates are used to generate the borrow output. The OR gate combines the outputs of the two AND gates to produce the final borrow output.

5. How is a full subtractor implemented in hardware?

A full subtractor can be implemented using logic gates such as Ex-OR gates, AND gates, and OR gates. These gates can be connected using breadboard wires or printed onto an integrated circuit (IC) chip to create the desired circuit. The inputs and outputs of the full subtractor can then be connected to other digital circuits to perform larger operations.