Calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit

In summary, a 50 ohm resistor, an unknown resistor R, a 120 volt source, and an ammeter are connected in a complete circuit. The ammeter reads 0.50 ampere. To calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit, we use the formula R = V/I, where V is the source voltage and I is the total current. Thus, the equivalent resistance is 240 ohms. To determine the resistance of resistor R, we use the formula R = RT - R1, where RT is the equivalent resistance and R1 is the known resistance. Therefore, the resistance of R is 190 ohms.
zelda1850

Homework Statement

a 50 ohm resistor, an unknown resistor R, a 120 volt source and an ammeter are connected in a compelete circuit. the ammeter reads 0.50 ampere

1)calculate the equivalent resistance of the circuit

2)determine the resistance of resistor r

Homework Equations

a = 0.50 A
v = 120
r1 = 50 ohm
r2 = ?

R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

the problem is a series circuit so how do i know the other resistance if i know the first one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I`ll try to give you few hints..

for part(1) : it is asking for the equivalent resistance .. you are give the equivalent (total) voltage which is the source voltage(120v), and the total current which is simply the reading of the ammeter (0.5 ampere) .. so can you determine now the equivalent resistance? ..

for part(2) : after getting the equivalent resistance .. you can find the resistance for r noting that you are dealing with a situation where the two resistors are in series (Req = R1 +R2 ) ..

is it clear enough (>> well, I guess so ) .. :)

so for equivalent resistance i should do v/a to get r?
i did 120v/0.50a and got 240 r so that is the equivalent resistance
and for the resistance of r i do 240r + 50r and get 290 r is this correct?

zelda1850 said:
so for equivalent resistance i should do v/a to get r?
i did 120v/0.50a and got 240 r so that is the equivalent resistance
and for the resistance of r i do 240r + 50r and get 290 r is this correct?

Think it through;

The equivalent resistance is the total resistance of all the circuits components. You have the right method of finding total resistance in using [tex]R_{T}=R_{1}+R_{2}+...+R_{n}[/tex] so your [tex]R_{T}[/tex] value is 240 Ohm's, so what is [tex]R_{2}[/tex]?

oh r2 should be 190 since they need to add up to 240

What does it mean to calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

Calculating the equivalent resistance of a circuit refers to finding the total resistance of the circuit, taking into account all the individual resistances of the components.

Why is it important to calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

Calculating the equivalent resistance is important because it helps us understand how the circuit will behave and how much current will flow through it. It also allows us to determine the amount of power dissipated in the circuit.

How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit with resistors in series?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances of the resistors. The equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all the resistances in the circuit.

How do you calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit with resistors in parallel?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a parallel circuit, you use the following formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. Once you have the sum of the reciprocals, you take the inverse to find the equivalent resistance.

Can the equivalent resistance of a circuit be greater than the individual resistances in the circuit?

Yes, the equivalent resistance can be greater than the individual resistances in a circuit. This is because resistors in parallel offer less resistance than resistors in series, so adding more resistors in parallel can decrease the overall resistance and result in a higher equivalent resistance.