I'm having trouble calculating inductance values in a transformer

In summary, the values of L1 and L2 calculated using the formulas are theoretical and may not reflect the actual inductance values of a real-life transformer.
sdusheyko
I have to figure out the two inductance values for a transformer; L2 and L1 where L1 is the inductance that sees the primary voltage and L2 is the secondary.

i'm working with the formulas;

n^2 = Z2/Z1 (8/1000)

roeL2>>Z2 (roe= angular freq= 1kHz)

n^2= L2/L1

basically i use this formulas to find L2, but it's in the tens of Henrys which doesn't make sense to me for a transformer that fits in my hand.

i carry out the computations for L1= .12 or something in that range, then plug it into the last equation and i get a massive value for L2. am i doing something wrong or are these values fine for theoretical computations?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
.The inductance values you are calculating are not necessarily the practical values of the transformer. These values are calculated using theoretical formulas and are used to model the behavior of the transformer in a mathematical sense. The actual inductance values of a transformer can vary depending on the construction and size of the transformer. Therefore, these theoretical values should not be used as the actual inductance values in an application.

1. What is inductance and why is it important in a transformer?

Inductance is a property of a circuit element that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. In a transformer, inductance is important because it allows for the transfer of energy from one circuit to another without direct electrical connection.

2. What factors affect the inductance value in a transformer?

The two main factors that affect the inductance value in a transformer are the number of turns in the transformer's primary and secondary coils, and the magnetic permeability of the transformer's core material. Other factors include the shape and size of the coils, and the presence of any nearby conductive materials.

3. How can I calculate the inductance value in a transformer?

The inductance value in a transformer can be calculated using the formula L = (N1 * N2 * μ0 * μr * A)/l, where L is the inductance in henries, N1 is the number of turns in the primary coil, N2 is the number of turns in the secondary coil, μ0 is the permeability of free space, μr is the relative permeability of the core material, A is the cross-sectional area of the core, and l is the length of the core. Alternatively, there are online calculators and software programs that can help with the calculation.

4. Why am I having trouble calculating inductance values in a transformer?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble calculating inductance values in a transformer. Some common reasons include incorrect input values, using the wrong formula, or not taking into account other factors that affect inductance. It is important to double check your calculations and consider all relevant factors to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some methods for measuring inductance in a transformer?

Some common methods for measuring inductance in a transformer include using an inductance meter, a digital multimeter, an oscilloscope, or a bridge circuit. These methods involve measuring the voltage and current in the transformer and using them to calculate the inductance value. It is important to use proper equipment and techniques to ensure accurate measurements.