Circuit analsysis problem. Simple

• Engineering
  • Thread starter harrisiqbal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, a device can be modeled using a current source in parallel with a resistor and connected to a voltage source. Using Kirchhoffs current law and the current divider rule, the voltage and current can be calculated for different configurations of the device. When a device is modeled using an ideal voltage source in series with a resistance and connected to another voltage source, there will be two voltage sources present.
harrisiqbal

Homework Statement

A device can be modeled using a current source in
parallel with a resistor. This device was connected to
a 5[V] voltage source, as shown in Figure P2.3a), and
a current i5 of 0.93[A] resulted. The same device was
then connected to a 4[A] current source as shown in
Figure P2.3b), and a voltage v4 of –34[V] resulted.
Find the voltage v3 if a 3[Ω] resistor, as shown
in Figure P2.3c), is connected to the same device.

Homework Equations

V = iR, KCL, KVL, Sign Conventions

The Attempt at a Solution

[Freaking session expired and I lost whatever I wrote.. writing it again grrrrrr]

Link to picture of diagram:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=lzuqgmqmitk&thumb=6

I define the device as the following:

-----------------
[ ]
[ ]
Current Source Resistor
[ ]
[ ]
------------------

I connect this device to a 5 Volts voltage source for part a. And Apply KCL to get i2-i1 = 0.93 Amps. i2 is the current going through resistor, and i1 is the current by current source.

I move on to part b, and get equations [ probably the wrong ones ], but now I can't use anything from part a because the values would be different correct?

So I don't really understand how to solve this problem...

Help would be appreciated!____________________________________________________

***Update***:
Okay I understand it a bit better. For part a I use Kirchhoffs current law to find an expression for the current going through internal resistor. i2 = i1-0.93

I get an expression for Internal resistence: R = (V1 / i2) V1 is the 5 Volt power source in Part a.

Going into part b.

KCL law to get -i2 - i3 = 0 [ i3 is the given current source 4 Amps in part b]

so i2 = -4 amps

Voltage is given and current is i2. Resistence can be calculated to be 8.5 Ohms.

Part c:

Current Divider Rule:

lets me find i2[ which will be different because Resistor was added]

i2= -.396 Amps

V3____________________________
I have another QUICK question unrelated to the above problem.

If a question states that there is a device that is modeled using an ideal voltage source in series with a resistance. And that device is connected to a voltage source in the schematic. Then there will be TWO Voltage sources CORRECT? One inside the device and one that the device is connected to?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harrisiqbal said:
I have another QUICK question unrelated to the above problem.

If a question states that there is a device that is modeled using an ideal voltage source in series with a resistance. And that device is connected to a voltage source in the schematic. Then there will be TWO Voltage sources CORRECT? One inside the device and one that the device is connected to?

Correct. However, the first one you mention sounds like they are modeling a real voltage source as an ideal voltage source in series with its output resistance. The second voltage source might not have been expanded yet into its ideal voltage source and series output resistance, or they may just be assuming its an ideal voltage source. You'll have to figure that out from the context of the problem.

What is circuit analysis and why is it important?

Circuit analysis is the process of understanding and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits. It is important because it allows scientists and engineers to predict how a circuit will behave, troubleshoot any issues, and design new and more efficient circuits.

What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source, such as a battery, wires to connect the components, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components work together to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

How do you solve a circuit analysis problem?

To solve a circuit analysis problem, you will need to use a combination of Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and other circuit analysis techniques. First, you will need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, you can use equations and calculations to determine the current, voltage, and resistance in different parts of the circuit.

What are the common techniques used in circuit analysis?

Some common techniques used in circuit analysis include Kirchhoff's Laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a junction must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction, and the voltage across any closed loop must equal the sum of voltage drops. Other techniques include using Thevenin's and Norton's theorems to simplify complex circuits and solving systems of equations to determine the values of different components in a circuit.

How can I check my circuit analysis calculations?

To check your circuit analysis calculations, you can use a variety of tools such as multimeters, oscilloscopes, and circuit simulators. These tools can help you measure and verify the values of voltage, current, and resistance in different parts of the circuit. You can also double-check your calculations and equations to ensure they are accurate.