What would you call this, in technical language?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, the device in the attached picture can be described as a 2DOF manipulator, resembling a double pendulum configuration with two rotational joints connected in series. It can also be referred to as a double-jointed arm, as it is made up of joints and sticks. Avoid using the term "robotic" as there are no actuator mechanisms. Another possible description is a 2D representation of a multi-axis linear assembly.
KingNothing
I'm an EE with a fried brain right now, how would you describe the device in the attached picture in technical language?

So far I've called it a "double-jointed robotic arm with one joint affixed to a mounting surface". That sounds really bad and not descriptive.

Attachments

• fixed rod what.png
    fixed rod what.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 463
Engineering news on Phys.org
2DOF manipulator. This is like a double pendulum configuration: two rotational joints connected in series. Maybe that will give some search terms to narrow down the conventional nomenclature.

I wouldn't involve the term "robotic" at all, since there are no actuator mechanisms. It's just a bunch of joints held together with sticks.
The best that I can currently think of is "a 2D representation of a multi-axis linear assembly". That, of course, makes no sense whatsoever unless accompanied by the illustration. (Personally, I'd go with the "joints & sticks" explanation... :tongue:)

I'd go with double-jointed arm.

In technical language, I would describe the device in the attached picture as a "bilateral kinematic manipulator with a fixed base and two revolute joints." This terminology captures the mechanical structure and function of the device, specifically its ability to move in two axes (bilateral kinematics) and its two revolute joints which allow for rotational motion. This description is more precise and specific, providing a clearer understanding of the device's capabilities.

1. What is the technical term for the study of living organisms?

The technical term for the study of living organisms is biology.

2. What is the proper terminology for the process of converting chemical energy into usable energy?

The process of converting chemical energy into usable energy is called metabolism.

3. What is the scientific name for the smallest unit of matter?

The smallest unit of matter is called an atom.

4. Can you explain the meaning of the term "hypothesis" in scientific research?

In scientific research, a hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through observation and experimentation.

5. What is the technical term for the process of making an exact copy of a DNA sequence?

The process of making an exact copy of a DNA sequence is called DNA replication.