Is being an astrophysicist a good idea?

In summary: Now as for not wanting to do it. If you have that mindset then it is definitely not the right field for you. Astronomy is a very difficult and demanding field and unless you have a burning passion for it then it is not worth it. You will be stuck in school for 10 years and in the meantime you will not be able to do anything else with your life. So my advice is to get a BS in something else, then go into grad school for astrophysics. You can then have a job in the field, or continue on to a PhD.
KhemicalKara
I'm a senior in high school, and I plan on going into the field of astrophysics. However, I don't know how to job opportunities are. For as much as I want to be an astrophysicist, I don't know if it's worth it. I need to be able to get a job after college.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas for an alternative/back-up plan?​

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by "going into the field of astrophysics?" Do you mean you want to get a BS in Astrophysics (Don't think there is such a thing - usually just a physics degree with an astro concentration), do you want to do research in astrophysics, or something else.

If you get a BS in physics, there are job opportunities out there, though very few are directly tied to what is likely considered astrophysics research. If you want to do research in astrophysics, then a PhD in physics (with your dissertation research done on a subject in astrophysics) is the most straightforward route.

As far as alternatives, with a BS in physics many people work in software, engineering and other sciences. You should have a look at the AIP statistics site:

Full site: http://www.aip.org/statistics/

Specific to Undergrad employment: http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/emp_bachelor.html

Plot of specific interest (field of employment with bachelors degree): http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/highlite/emp2/figure3a.htm

Find a university that has a research group with your interests. You could search for the research group first, then look at the university they're with and make sure the uni provides the relevant background.

You will be able to find a job with a degree in physics/astronomy/astrophysics - the question is whether or not it's the job you want. Degrees in physical science give you lots of desirable skills that can be applied in lots and lots of different areas - but no, you can't guarantee that you'll end up in a job that's representative of the probably romanticised view you have about astrophysics.

KhemicalKara said:
I'm a senior in high school, and I plan on going into the field of astrophysics. However, I don't know how to job opportunities are. For as much as I want to be an astrophysicist, I don't know if it's worth it. I need to be able to get a job after college.​

I don't know of anyone that has gone into astrophysics that hasn't been able to get something decent after grad school. It may not be their first choice in careers, but no one is living in homeless shelters.

Part of the difficulty in figuring out the jobs is that the likely job in ten years that you will be doing with an astrophysics degree will be something that hasn't been invented yet. I graduated high school in 1987, and that was before the World Wide Web had been invented, and almost no one knew what e-mail was. The job that I'm doing now involves technology and things that just didn't exist when I was in high school. I ended up on Wall Street (it so happens that the equations for radiation diffusing through a star just happens to be the same as the ones that describes the evolution of a stock option price.)

So I can't tell you want you will be able to do with an astrophysics degree in ten years. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what *I'll* do doing with my astrophysics degree in ten years. But I'll bet it will be cool.​

KhemicalKarma:

Astronomy is an extremely rewarding science, had to put that out there. My Astronomy teacher in college has a MS in Astrophysics (from MSU) and has had no problems finding work... That is teaching work. He teaches Astronomy and Physics at CC's around Michigan.

Now big jobs such as NASA, and so on would be challenging to get but still feasible. Just note that a BS is note enough. Plan on getting at least a MS. If you cannot get a job at NASA there are other governmental space agencies (ESO and so on).

1. Is being an astrophysicist a financially stable career choice?

While the salaries for astrophysicists may vary depending on the specific job and location, the field of astrophysics is generally considered to be a financially stable career choice. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists and astronomers was $122,850 in May 2020. Additionally, there is a high demand for astrophysicists in industries such as aerospace and defense, which can offer even higher salaries.

2. What kind of education is required to become an astrophysicist?

Becoming an astrophysicist typically requires a strong educational background in math and physics. Most astrophysicists have at least a bachelor's degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field. Many also have a master's or doctoral degree in astrophysics or a specialized area of physics. Additionally, gaining research experience through internships or working in a research lab can greatly benefit aspiring astrophysicists.

3. Are there job opportunities for astrophysicists?

There are various job opportunities for astrophysicists, both in academia and in industries such as aerospace, government agencies, and research institutions. Astrophysicists can work in research and development, data analysis, or teaching positions. Additionally, with the advancement of technology, there are also opportunities for astrophysicists in fields such as data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed as an astrophysicist?

To succeed as an astrophysicist, one must have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, communication skills are important for presenting research findings and collaborating with colleagues. Astrophysicists also need to have a passion for learning and staying updated with advancements in the field.

5. What are the benefits of being an astrophysicist?

Besides the potential for a financially stable career, being an astrophysicist also offers the opportunity to contribute to our understanding of the universe. It is a field that allows for continuous learning and discovery, as well as the potential to make groundbreaking discoveries and advancements. Additionally, astrophysicists often have access to cutting-edge technology and have the opportunity to work with and learn from other experts in the field.