Surviving on a Low Income: Coping Strategies and Seeking Better Opportunities

• Thread starter TappyTibbons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary: Are you pursuing any other courses, or learning any new skills? Have you looked into any retraining programs? Maybe talking to a counselor could help?
TappyTibbons
I don't know how I can do anything but just survive with the money I currently make. Here's my simplified calculation (per month):

Income - $1500

Expenses:
-Rent: $600
-Utilities: $200
-Food: $300
-Car (insurance + gas): $200

That leaves $200 for everything else, including health insurance, clothes, etc.

I've been having panic attacks when I think of money, and I've never had them before. I don't think I have unreasonable needs. I just want to make ends meet and be able to save a little money for a rainy day.

I have a BS in physics from a decent university with a decent GPA, but I work in a job that doesn't require a high school diploma. It's the only job I could get, and I've applied to dozens. I don't feel a sense of entitlement, or that I'm underemployed. But I assume there's a better paying job I COULD get. I just don't see a way out. I feel like I'll be treading water under a prolonged illness finally puts me under.

Any ideas?

Sorry for dumping

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want any real advice, you really need to be more descriptive in your location, abilities, etc.

TappyTibbons said:
I have a BS in physics from a decent university with a decent GPA, but I work in a job that doesn't require a high school diploma. It's the only job I could get, and I've applied to dozens. I don't feel a sense of entitlement, or that I'm underemployed. But I assume there's a better paying job I COULD get. I just don't see a way out. I feel like I'll be treading water under a prolonged illness finally puts me under.
Something is not right here!

With a BS in Physics, and a decent GPA, one has a job that doesn't even require a high school diploma?! And one doesn't feel one is underemployed?! And one is making only $1500 / mo (or about $9/hr)?!

If one is fairly competent in physics, then one is severely underemployed. One should be making about $40-50k/year, not $18 k.

Contact the career placement/advisory office at the university where one graduated. Look through them for opportunities.

All undergrads should check with the career placement office at the university where they attend - starting no later than junior year.

With one's wages, one should be sharing an apartment with a roommate(s) or with one's parents until one saves up enough or gets a job and becomes fully independent.

I might suggest that the job you have right now is the only job you can *currently* get. It's giving you enough money to survive, and I would see that as a good thing. It means that you're in an independent position and can afford to take your time hunting down a better opportunity. If you keep looking, keep improving yourself, keep updating your skills, eventually something else will come along.

One of the first questions I might ask is what kind of networking have you done so far? Have you tried attending career fairs, conferences, trade shows or conventions? Have you tried volunteering anywhere? Are you cold-calling anyone? Have you kept tabs on what your classmates are doing now? If you're really interested in finding a better job, you want to make sure that you're doing more than just surfing the online classified ads and submitting a resume to a random human resources department.

I was like you- I made less than you and had to live at home. Basically I would look for better jobs - you have more experience now to enable you to find a better job, and apply to as many as you can. Dont quit your current job now, find another one first. and add to your existing skills - keep learning/ keep on top of your area.

TappyTibbons said:
I don't know how I can do anything but just survive with the money I currently make.

<snip>

Any ideas?

I think you just got a bunch of good ones.

Have you had any other job interviews and just didn't get them?

1. Why am I so worried about money?

There could be many reasons for feeling worried about money. It could be due to financial struggles, unexpected expenses, or a fear of not having enough for the future. It's important to assess your specific situation and try to identify the root cause of your worries.

2. How can I manage my money better?

Managing money can be challenging, but there are some practical steps you can take to improve your financial situation. These include creating a budget, tracking your expenses, and finding ways to save money. It may also be helpful to seek advice from a financial advisor or counselor.

3. What can I do if I don't have enough money?

If you are struggling financially and do not have enough money to cover your expenses, there are some options you can explore. These include finding ways to increase your income, cutting back on non-essential expenses, and seeking financial assistance from organizations or government programs.

4. How can I reduce my financial stress?

Financial stress can take a toll on both your mental and physical health. To reduce this stress, it's important to take care of your mental and emotional well-being by practicing self-care and seeking support from loved ones. You can also try to find ways to increase your income or decrease your expenses to alleviate some of the financial burden.

5. Is it normal to worry about money?

Worrying about money is a common experience for many people, especially during times of economic uncertainty. However, if these worries are causing significant distress and impacting your daily life, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or financial advisor to address any underlying issues and develop healthy coping strategies.