How can I solve this structural mechanics problem accurately?

In summary, the student is trying to solve a static structural mechanics problem, but is not getting very satisfying results. The student first calculates the average stress, torque, and static equations of equilibrium for a load applied at point B and directed DB. They then try to solve for the reaction at points C and D using the equations of static, but are not successful. They then try to solve for the reaction at points C and D using the moment equations, but are still not successful. Finally, they analyze the free body diagrams of the two bars separately and solve for the reaction at points C and D.
notist
I've been trying to solve a structural mechanics problem from the book Mechanics of Materials, but the results I acquired weren't very satisfying.

Here it is

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/4375/p17n.jpg

Homework Equations

Average Stress: [tex]\sigma[/tex]= F/A

Torque: [tex]\vec{M}[/tex]=[tex]\vec{r}[/tex] x [tex]\vec{F}[/tex]

Equations of static

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I defined a load applied at point B and direction DB, resulting from the application of equation of the average stress:

|[tex]\vec{F(B)}[/tex]|=40 KN and [tex]\vec{F(B)}[/tex]= -18.82 ex - 35.29 ey.

Now, let the reactions at points C and D be called Cx/Cy and Dx/Dy respectively, I first assumed the values of Dx and Dy were symetrical to those in F(B), so as to obey the equations of static.
From here I simply calculated the sum of every torque regarding to point C, in order to eliminate Cx and Cy. The equation is as follows

-18.82*0.45 + 0.135P+35.29*0.24=0, resulting in P=0, which is obviously false.

From here I thought I was mistaken about the values of Dx and Dy and decided to treat them as variables. Writing the equations of static, I got

Cx+Dx=18.82
Cy+Dy=P+35.29

And from the total Torque relative to point C,

-18.82*0.45 + 0.135*P+0.24*Dy=0

Obviously, the system is indeterminate, but it's impossible to get more linearly independente equations of static for the system, so I decided to analyse the free body diagram of the two bars separately.

For the bar BD, I calculated the total moment relative do point B, resulting in the equation
-0.45*Dx+0.24*Dy=0

For the bar AC, I calculated the total moment relative to point A:
-0.135*Cx+0.570*Cy=0

The system is now solvable, but it the result is still incorrect. My main question is, if there is any flaw in my logic, where is it? Acording to the solutions, the result is 62.7KN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll have to check the numbers later (or someone else can)..But although the problem is statically indeterminate, the fact that the force in BD must be axial, gives you the extra bit of info you need.

I would not suggest trying to break up the applied load P into components along rotated axes. Instead, apply it at point B with the appropriate moment (couple) also applied at that point, and solve. Free Body Diagrams and sketches are always very helpful.

It IS statically determinate. It is like a 3-hinged arch. Moments about C for the whole thing gives you DY in terms of P. Can you get it from there without more help?

notist said:
-18.82*0.45 + 0.135*P + 35.29*0.24 = 0
notist: Dx is not located at 0.45 m below point C. Try this summation again. And isn't your sign on Dy wrong here?

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 62.7 kN, not 62.7kN. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0). Also, always use correct capitalization of unit symbols. E.g., kN, not KN. KN means kelvin Newton; kN means kiloNewton. See NIST for the correct spelling of any unit symbol.

You are making it much too complicated. First chapter of my edition of that book gives an introduction to stress, so the strain of CB can be ignored and the setup can be considered completely static.

The moment around C from P give rise to a horizontal force at B which is balanced by the projected force through BD. Write up those equations and you get P = 62.7 kN.

Also, you could say that the perpendicular distance from C to BD is (by inspection, or drawing similar triangles) 450*240/510 Hence take moments about C and get Force in BD directly.

1. What is the definition of a structural mechanics problem?

A structural mechanics problem is a type of engineering problem that involves analyzing and predicting the behavior of a structure or system under various loads and conditions. It typically involves the use of mathematical equations and models to determine the stresses, strains, and deformations of the structure.

2. What are some common applications of structural mechanics?

Structural mechanics is used in a wide range of fields and industries, including civil engineering, aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, and materials science. Some common applications include designing and analyzing buildings, bridges, aircraft, and other structures to ensure they can withstand the forces and loads they will experience.

3. How do you approach solving a structural mechanics problem?

The first step in solving a structural mechanics problem is to clearly define the problem and gather all necessary information, such as loadings, boundary conditions, and material properties. Next, you would use mathematical equations and computer-aided tools to analyze the structure and determine the stresses and deformations. Finally, you would interpret the results and make any necessary revisions to the design to ensure it meets the desired criteria.

4. What are the key principles of structural mechanics?

The key principles of structural mechanics include equilibrium, compatibility, and material behavior. Equilibrium refers to the balance of forces and moments acting on a structure, compatibility refers to the requirement that all parts of a structure must fit together without interference, and material behavior refers to the response of the materials used in the structure to applied loads and conditions.

5. What are some challenges in solving structural mechanics problems?

Some challenges in solving structural mechanics problems include accurately modeling the behavior of complex structures, dealing with uncertainties in material properties and boundary conditions, and balancing safety and cost considerations in the design process. Additionally, some problems may require advanced mathematical and computational techniques to address nonlinear behavior or complex loading scenarios.