What specs do I need for a notebook to run Pro/E efficiently?

• Thread starter alvarez91
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on what type of laptop to buy for running Pro/Engineer 5.0 Schools Edition efficiently. They mention needing a powerful graphics card and at least 6-8GB of RAM. Another speaker suggests getting a Dell M6500 or M4500, but another speaker disagrees and recommends Lenovo instead.
alvarez91
I plan on buying a laptop this weekend and need some advice on what to get. The only heavy program that I will be running is Pro/Engineer 5.0 Schools Edition. What specs are required for my laptop to run this program efficiently(RAM, processor, etc.)? Does anyone have any experience with running this program on a notebook? Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have only used the full blown versions. In this case the graphics card and accelerator is the weak link.

What kind of computer did you have?

Why do you want a laptop if your goal is to run Pro/E? The problem is that now you are constrained to needing an actual graphics card, which is going to destroy your battery life. The best GPU to have is a workstation graphics card like a Quadro. I don't know if they make those for laptops though.

We have been using SW through an external license. We had a special graphics cards, and 6 or 8 GB (the more the better) RAM installed. Get at least a duo core processor 2.4 GHz or better.

See requirements here:

http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/77552/en/proewf5.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a dell M6500 (17" display) or M4500 (15.6" display).

Boo to Dell. If you MUST get a notebook, get Lenovo.

1. What are the minimum system requirements for running Pro/E on a notebook?

The minimum system requirements for running Pro/E on a notebook include a 64-bit operating system, at least 8GB of RAM, a dedicated graphics card with 2GB of VRAM, and a multi-core processor with a clock speed of at least 2.5GHz.

2. Can I run Pro/E on a budget-friendly notebook?

Yes, it is possible to run Pro/E on a budget-friendly notebook. However, it is important to ensure that the notebook meets the minimum system requirements and has a dedicated graphics card for optimal performance.

3. Is it better to have a larger screen size for running Pro/E on a notebook?

While a larger screen size can provide a better viewing experience, it is not necessary for running Pro/E on a notebook. The most important factor is the system specifications and graphics card, which will affect the performance of the software.

4. Are there any specific brands or models of notebooks that are recommended for running Pro/E?

There are no specific brands or models that are recommended for running Pro/E. However, it is important to choose a notebook with a reputable brand and good reviews, as well as one that meets the minimum system requirements for running the software.

5. Can I upgrade my current notebook to run Pro/E or do I need to buy a new one?

It is possible to upgrade your current notebook to meet the minimum system requirements for running Pro/E. However, depending on the age and specifications of your current notebook, it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new one with better performance capabilities.