Calculus Continuous Function Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding values for A and B in order for f(t) to be continuous everywhere. The equations provided involve taking limits and solving for A and B. After some trial and error, the correct values are found to be A = 3∏/30 and B = 8. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
Onodeyja

Homework Statement

Find A and B so that f(t) is continuous everywhere.

Homework Equations

Suppose that:
[PLAIN]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8531/eqwkshp3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I wouldn't be posting if I wasn't lost, but I will tell you what I've tried. I know that I have to set the middle equation equal to either the first or third and solve for A or B. However, if I set the middle equation equal to the first one and then plug in t = 0, it ends up canceling out the entire one side. So then I've tried setting the middle equation equal to the third equation and plugging in t = 5 to solve for B and I end up with B = (46 - 6sin(5A))/5. I'm probably doing something incorrectly.

I know that for these types of problems you solve for the one variable and then you plug it back into solve for the other one, but I don't think I'm doing this particular problem correctly. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just plug in for the second equation. You need to take the limit as t goes to zero of sin(At)/t. Otherwise, you get 0/0 which doesn't mean anything. Any ideas on that limit?

Last edited:
Dick said:
You can't just plug in for the second equation. You need to take the limit as t goes to zero of sin(At)/t. Otherwise, you get 0/0 which doesn't mean anything. Any ideas on that limit?

I know that if it was just sin(t)/t that the limit would be 1 (for this equation A would have to be 1 to make that work).

Onodeyja said:
I know that if it was just sin(t)/t that the limit would be 1 (for this equation A would have to be 1 to make that work).

That's a good start. Do you think if limit t->0 of sin(t)/t=1 then limit t->0 sin(At)/(At) might also be 1? If so then what's limit t->0 of sin(At)/t?

Dick said:
That's a good start. Do you think if limit t->0 of sin(t)/t=1 then limit t->0 sin(At)/(At) might also be 1? If so then what's limit t->0 of sin(At)/t?

I think I have it:

lim t-> 0 sin(At)/t

1. Multiply by A to get: lim t->0 Asin(At)/At
2. Put the A out front: A lim t-> 0 sin(At)/At
3. lim t-> 0 sin(At)/At = 1 and then A * 1 = A

So the lim t->0 sin(At)/t = A?

Onodeyja said:
I think I have it:

lim t-> 0 sin(At)/t

1. Multiply by A to get: lim t->0 Asin(At)/At
2. Put the A out front: A lim t-> 0 sin(At)/At
3. lim t-> 0 sin(At)/At = 1 and then A * 1 = A

So the lim t->0 sin(At)/t = A?

Yes, you've got it.

Now, I'm assuming that the equation is now:

When t = 0

30(sin(At)/t) + Bt = 3∏
30 lim t->0 (sin(At)/t) + B(0) = 3∏
30A + 0 = 3∏
A = 3∏/30

Onodeyja said:
Now, I'm assuming that the equation is now:

When t = 0

30(sin(At)/t) + Bt = 3∏
30 lim t->0 (sin(At)/t) + B(0) = 3∏
30A + 0 = 3∏
A = 3∏/30

Looks good so far.

Dick said:
Looks good so far.

When t = 5

30(sin(At)/t) + Bt = -10[log(t)/log(5^(1/3))] + 76
30(sin(0.314*5)/5) + B(5) = -10[log(5)/log(5^(1/3))] + 76
0.164 + 5B = 46
5B = 45.84
B = 9.168

Try the sin part again. You actually don't have to approximate pi. It works out to a nice number exactly.

Dick said:
Try the sin part again. You actually don't have to approximate pi. It works out to a nice number exactly.

And so it does indeed :P

30(sin(At)/t) + Bt = -10[log(t)/log(5^(1/3))] + 76
30(sin(3∏/30*5)/5) + B(5) = -10[log(5)/log(5^(1/3))] + 76
30(1/5) + 5B = 46
6 + 5B = 46
B = 8

Thank you so much for your help. =D

1. What is a continuous function in calculus?

A continuous function is a type of function in calculus where the graph of the function has no breaks or gaps. This means that the function is defined and has a value at every point along the x-axis. In other words, there are no sudden jumps or holes in the graph of a continuous function.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it satisfies three conditions: it is defined at the point in question, the limit exists at that point, and the limit is equal to the function's value at that point. In other words, the left and right limits must exist and be equal, and the function must be defined at the point in question.

3. How can you tell if a function is continuous algebraically?

A function is continuous algebraically if there are no discontinuities, such as holes, jumps, or vertical asymptotes, in the function's equation. This means that the function can be simplified and evaluated without any restrictions or undefined values, and the resulting value will be equal to the function's value at that point.

4. What is the difference between a continuous and a discontinuous function?

The main difference between a continuous and a discontinuous function is that a continuous function has no breaks or gaps in its graph, while a discontinuous function does. This means that a continuous function is defined and has a value at every point along the x-axis, while a discontinuous function has points where it is not defined or has different values on either side of a given point.

5. How is calculus used to solve continuous function problems?

In calculus, continuous function problems involve finding the derivative or integral of a continuous function. The derivative of a continuous function represents the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, while the integral represents the area under the curve of the function. These concepts are used to solve various real-world problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum values of a function or determining the rate of change in a system.