Learn the Basics of Anti-Derivatives: A Comprehensive Guide

• Thread starter groundpilots
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question related to anti-derivatives. The person is having trouble understanding where they went wrong in their work, and asks for help. The question involves finding the anti-derivative of (a+bs)^{n+1}. The other person provides a solution using substitution and clarifies that it is an indefinite integral, not an infinite one.
groundpilots
Anti-Derivatives Please Help!

So I am having trouble understanding where I went wrong here, the question is highlighted, then it clearly states my answer, and the answer the book gave, my work is posted in the second image, care to help??

Homework Statement

193081_10150114570475418_508690417_6587379_3018337_o1.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

191525_10150114570890418_508690417_6587380_7031413_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi groundpilots! :)

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}(a+bs)^{n+1}=(n+1)(b)(a+bs)^{n}[/tex]
<===>
[tex](a+bs)^{n+1} + c =\int(n+1)(b)(a+bs)^{n} ds[/tex]

With this can u tell me how u do the antiderivatives ?

If u notice b=5 and n=2 ...

so I tried to do the antiderivative using the formulas you gave and I still can't seem to get it...ughhhhh
here's what I tried, still not right =(

iug.jpg

[tex]\int (5s + 3)^2~ds[/tex]

Let u = 5s + 3, then du = 5ds

Using this substitution, the integral above becomes:
[tex]\frac{1}{5}\int (5s + 3)^2~5ds = \frac{1}{5}\int u^2~du [/tex]

Can you take it from here?

BTW, this is an indefinite integral, not an infinite integral.

1. What are anti-derivatives?

Anti-derivatives, also known as indefinite integrals, are the inverse operation of derivatives. They are mathematical functions that, when differentiated, result in the original function.

2. Why are anti-derivatives important?

Anti-derivatives are important because they allow us to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating areas, volumes, and rates of change.

3. How do I find anti-derivatives?

To find an anti-derivative, you can use the reverse power rule, which states that the anti-derivative of a term with variable x raised to a power n is the term with the power increased by 1, divided by the new power. You can also use various integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral gives a specific value, while an indefinite integral gives a family of functions that differ by a constant.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of anti-derivatives?

You can practice and improve your understanding of anti-derivatives by solving various integration problems, using online resources and practice quizzes, and seeking help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and the properties of derivatives before attempting to learn anti-derivatives.