Help with trying to spot the ISS

• Thread starter iamBevan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary, the NASA website states that the ISS will reach a maximum elevation of 86 degrees above the horizon, approaching from 20 degrees above the West and departing at 26 degrees above the East. The path of the ISS will be from right to left if facing south and from left to right if facing north, with the possibility of it crossing directly above if the maximum elevation is near zenith.
iamBevan
On the NASA website it says that I need to consider the following:

"MAX ELEV - APPROACH - DEPARTURE"
86 20 above W 26 above E

Could someone tell me what these mean and how I'd work out where to look from this? Or point me to somewhere I could find out - Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There an application for smartphones that you can download which will tell you when many many satellites and stuff, such as the ISS, will pass overhead. It even gives you a nifty line through the sky at the point where it should be!

I highly recommend Heavens Above. Not only does it give easy-to-understand tables, it also includes star maps superimposed with the satellite's trajectory. If you know the sky, these are very helpful.

Drakkith said:
There an application for smartphones that you can download which will tell you when many many satellites and stuff, such as the ISS, will pass overhead. It even gives you a nifty line through the sky at the point where it should be!

I saw an app like that last year on my boss's phone. He held it up toward the sky and it would orient itself to the sky to display the stars that you were looking at and their names. Very cool stuff on the phones these days. I like Heavens Above also - great site. The Iridium Flares are a lot of fun also.

Borg said:
I saw an app like that last year on my boss's phone. He held it up toward the sky and it would orient itself to the sky to display the stars that you were looking at and their names. Very cool stuff on the phones these days.

What kind of phone does/did he have?

There's a $5 app on the iPhone App Store called "Star Walk" that can map out satellites. On iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G it can use the built-in gyroscope to automatically adjust the map.

moonman239 said:
What kind of phone does/did he have?

There's a $5 app on the iPhone App Store called "Star Walk" that can map out satellites. On iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4G it can use the built-in gyroscope to automatically adjust the map.

He's not my boss anymore but, I sent him an email to find out what the app was.

Reply:
Google sky for android

Last edited:
iamBevan said:
On the NASA website it says that I need to consider the following:

"MAX ELEV - APPROACH - DEPARTURE"
86 20 above W 26 above E

Could someone tell me what these mean and how I'd work out where to look from this? Or point me to somewhere I could find out - Thanks.

Max Elevation 86 = The highest point ISS will reach on sky will be about 86 degrees above the horizon, or 4 degrees from zenith. That means that it will ALMOST rich zenith as it highest point on the sky, which means you don't have to look for it higher than 86 degrees above the horizon.

Approach 20 above W = When it comes across the sky it will apear 20 degrees above the horizon from the direction West.

Departure 26 above E = When it has crossed the half way you will notice that ISS will start to move downwards a little bit. And at the end of it's path it will be around 26 degrees above the horizion direction east.

Summary: If you are looking south it will move from right to left.
If you are looking north it will move from left to right.

But from your max elevation I suppose it will cross straight above you. Because I have never seen ISS so close to zenith from sweden, it's always near the horizon from west to east while facing south.

1. How can I spot the ISS?

To spot the ISS, you can use websites or apps that track the location of the space station. You can also look for bright, fast-moving objects in the sky during the early morning or evening hours when the ISS is most visible.

2. What time can I see the ISS?

The ISS is visible from Earth at different times depending on your location. You can use websites or apps that track the location of the space station to determine the best viewing times for your specific location.

3. How bright is the ISS?

The ISS is very bright and can sometimes be mistaken for a plane or star. It is one of the brightest objects in the night sky and can even be seen in some urban areas with light pollution.

4. How long can I see the ISS for?

The duration of the ISS visibility depends on its orbit and your location. On average, the ISS is visible for about 6 minutes, but it can range from a few seconds to over 10 minutes.

5. Are there any special events or occasions when the ISS is more visible?

Yes, there are certain occasions when the ISS is more visible, such as during a spacewalk or when it is passing over a certain landmark or city. You can also check for special events such as meteor showers that may make the ISS more visible.