Statue of Mary glows, and faithful see the light

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, a group of women noticed that the eyes and heart of a statue of the Virgin Mary appear to glow, leading to growing crowds outside St. Joseph the Provider Church. While parishioners prayed for a cure, the Monsignor explained that it was due to the gold leaf that used to be on the statue. This demonstrates the level-headedness of the Catholic clergy in not jumping to hysterical assumptions about miracles. This is in contrast to other religions and branches of Christianity where unusual happenings are often seen as divine intervention.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CAMPBELL — Crowds outside St. Joseph the Provider Church, 633 Porter Ave., have been growing larger every night since a group of women first noticed that the eyes and heart of a statue of the Virgin Mary appear to glow.

http://www.vindy.com/local_news/334749433092613.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
While he parishoners are praying
to the statue to be cured the
Monsignor is saying "Oh, it's
just because of the gold leaf that
used to be up there." This is what
I like about the Catholic Clergy.
They are not given to hysterical
assumptions when it comes to
miracles and such.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
While he parishoners are praying
to the statue to be cured the
Monsignor is saying "Oh, it's
just because of the gold leaf that
used to be up there." This is what
I like about the Catholic Clergy.
They are not given to hysterical
assumptions when it comes to
miracles and such.

How do you feel about officially recognized miracles?

The same way. I like the fact they
scrutinize every claim from every
possible angle doing their best to
explain it away as not being a
miracle. They're very level headed
about this.

This is in contrast to so many
other religions and other branches
of Christianity where the slightest unusual happening is
accepted as God stepping in and
cirumventing one of his own normal
modus operandi.

1. What is causing the Statue of Mary to glow?

The glowing of the Statue of Mary is most likely due to a natural phenomenon known as bioluminescence, where certain living organisms emit light. It could also be attributed to certain chemicals or minerals present in the statue's material that react with the environment.

2. Could this be a miracle?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively label this as a miracle without further evidence and research. However, it is important to respect the beliefs and perceptions of those who may see it as a miraculous event.

3. Has this ever happened before?

Reports of glowing statues or religious figures have been documented throughout history, but it is difficult to verify the authenticity of these claims. In modern times, such occurrences have been attributed to scientific explanations rather than divine intervention.

4. Is this a sign from God?

I cannot make a definitive statement on the intentions or messages of a higher power. It is important to approach such events with an open mind and consider all possible explanations before jumping to conclusions.

5. What is the significance of this event?

The significance of this event may vary for different individuals and religious beliefs. Some may see it as a sign of hope, while others may view it as a coincidence or a reminder to be more compassionate and kind towards others.

Back