Conduction to Displacement Current Ratio

In summary, at a frequency of 1 megacycle/sec, the ratio of the conduction to displacement current density for copper with a value of 5.8x10^7 mksc units is 1.04x10^12.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

For copper we find that J=[tex]\sigma[/tex]E , where [tex]\sigma[/tex] has the value 5.8x10^7 mksc units. If an alternating electric field represented by E0ei[tex]\omega[/tex]t exists within the copper. Find the ratio of the conduction to the displacement current density at a frequency of 1megacycle/sec.

Homework Equations

J=[tex]\sigma[/tex] dE0/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm hoping this is a straight forward as I'm making it out to be, minus my own issues with the units. I think it follows like this, but it seems too easy!

Please excuse my tex failures below...

J=[tex]\sigma[/tex] dE0/dt = i[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]E0
[tex]\omega[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]E0=E0/J = 1.04x10^12

Physics news on Phys.org
Got it, I think, Jc/Jd = [tex]\sigma[/tex] / [tex]\omega[/tex] [tex]\epsilon[/tex]

1. What is the definition of conduction to displacement current ratio?

The conduction to displacement current ratio is the ratio between the amount of electric current flowing through a material due to conduction and the amount of electric current flowing through a material due to displacement, also known as changing electric fields.

2. How is the conduction to displacement current ratio calculated?

The conduction to displacement current ratio can be calculated by dividing the conduction current (Ic) by the displacement current (Id). This can be represented as Ic/Id.

3. What is the significance of the conduction to displacement current ratio?

The conduction to displacement current ratio helps to determine the behavior of electric current in a material. A high ratio indicates that the material is a good conductor, while a low ratio indicates that the material is a good insulator.

4. How does the conduction to displacement current ratio affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

The conduction to displacement current ratio affects the propagation of electromagnetic waves by determining the speed at which the waves can travel through a material. A high ratio allows for faster propagation, while a low ratio slows down the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

5. What factors can affect the conduction to displacement current ratio?

The conduction to displacement current ratio can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its electrical conductivity, the frequency of the electric field, and the geometry of the material. External factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on this ratio.