What are the best books on point set topology for undergraduate students?

In summary: I think I might check out Steen and Seebach as well.In summary, the books recommended are Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology," Munkres' "Elements of Algebraic Topology," and Willard's "Topology."
R.P.F.
Hi! Can someone recommend some books on point set topology for undergraduates? I am going to use it this summer for preview and also during the fall because the instructor is not going to use a textbook. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A very cheap way to go is Mendelson's "Introduction to Topology." I used it a lot last quarter to supplement another text. I am an undergrad and took undergrad topology, but we officially used a grad level book, which was to say the least...very dense. So the Mendelson book expanded on a lot of the topics we covered.

Im am sure there are better/more modern treatments of topology out there for undergrads (I believe Munkres is the standard, but I don't have it). But the Mendelson book is so cheap, you should get it anyway. If its not to your liking, then who cares since you never invested much on it.

Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

I can highly recommend Munkres! It's one of the best topology books out there. It's really made for somebody's first encounter with topology. It doesn't only explain things in a lot of details, but it also goes quite deep into the topology!

Another book that every serious topology student should have is "Counterexamples in topology" by Steen and Seebach. It's not a textbook and it's a bit older, but it contaisn all the quirky and weird counterexamples in topology. If you ever start wondering if there exists a separable compact space that is not connected? Check this book and find out! :smile:

My favorite topology book is "General topology" of Willard. But I wouldn't recommend it to beginning students. It might be a bit dense...

Engelking's book "General Topology" is probably the most comperhensive book on set-theoretic topology. It maybe an overkill for an undergraduate level, but it is also can be used as a reference. Unfortunately, the book is out of print. But you can find it on the net.

micromass said:
Hi R.P.F.! :smile:

I can highly recommend Munkres! It's one of the best topology books out there. It's really made for somebody's first encounter with topology. It doesn't only explain things in a lot of details, but it also goes quite deep into the topology!

Another book that every serious topology student should have is "Counterexamples in topology" by Steen and Seebach. It's not a textbook and it's a bit older, but it contaisn all the quirky and weird counterexamples in topology. If you ever start wondering if there exists a separable compact space that is not connected? Check this book and find out! :smile:

My favorite topology book is "General topology" of Willard. But I wouldn't recommend it to beginning students. It might be a bit dense...

We used Willard for our undergrad course. We had a great instructor too, but at some points I found Willard clearer even than him. The exercises are really meaty and challenging. I think it's great, cheap too. If you struggle with it there are plenty of Dover books on topology, maybe have a look at them in the library or on the web, and pick two or three. It will turn out far cheaper than Munkres (which I have not read).

Also, it seems to me comparing their contents, Willard covers a lot more general topology stuff, but Munkres covers less and moves on to algebraic topology in the 2nd part of the book. The general topology stuff may be better for future analysts, and algebraic for everyone else. If you can get a cheap used copy of Munkres, maybe getting both is a good way to go.

Thank for for all the suggestions! I read a little bit of Munkres' Elements of Algebraic Topology. It's kind of out of date. But I will read his Topology since everyone recommends it.

1. What is point set topology?

Point set topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometric properties of sets of points in a space, without considering the specific shape or size of the points. It is concerned with topological spaces, which are mathematical structures that describe the relationships and properties of points within a given set.

2. Why are books on point set topology important?

Books on point set topology are important because they provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to this fundamental branch of mathematics. They cover the key concepts, theorems, and techniques used in point set topology, and can be used as a reference for further study or research.

3. What topics are typically covered in books on point set topology?

Books on point set topology typically cover topics such as topological spaces, continuity, connectedness, compactness, and separation properties. They also introduce more advanced concepts, such as homotopy, homology, and cohomology, and their applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

4. Who can benefit from reading books on point set topology?

Books on point set topology can benefit anyone interested in mathematics, physics, computer science, or any other field that involves the study of geometric structures. They are particularly useful for graduate students and researchers who want to deepen their understanding of topology and its applications.

5. Are there any prerequisites for reading books on point set topology?

A basic understanding of real analysis and set theory is usually required to fully understand books on point set topology. Some books may also assume knowledge of abstract algebra or differential geometry. It is recommended to check the prerequisites before starting a specific book on point set topology.