On non linear resistor and how to calculate a fixed resistor.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a non-linear resistor connected in series with a fixed resistor and a constant voltage source. The goal is to determine the value of resistance needed for a current of 0.40A to flow. By using the formula I=0.05V^3, it is determined that the voltage drop across the fixed resistor is 7V, and therefore the resistance value needed is 17.5 ohms.
physikamateur

Homework Statement

The current in amperes through a certain type of non-linear resistor is given by I=0.05V^3, where V is the potential difference in volts across the resistor. This resistor is connected in series to a fixed resistor and a constant voltage source of 9V is connected across the series combination. What value of resistance should the fixed resistor have so that a current of 0.40A flows ?

Homework Equations

V=IR and P=VI ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to calculate the total resistance which gives 22.5 ohms. But I do not know how to calculate the non-linear resistor as it does not obey ohm's law hence no proper formula can be used ? Please help.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that, as stated, a current of 0.40A is flowing through the nonlinear resistor. What will be the voltage drop across it according to the given formula for it (you may have to rearrange the formula)?

By I=0.05V^3, when I=0.40A, V=2V. Hence voltage drop across the fixed resistor is 9-2=7V.
Therefore by V=IR, 7=0.4R,
Therefore R=17.5 ohms

Am I right ?

Looks good!

Thanks a lot !

1. What is a non-linear resistor?

A non-linear resistor is a type of electrical component that does not follow Ohm's law, meaning its resistance is not constant and changes depending on the voltage and/or current passing through it.

2. How is a non-linear resistor different from a fixed resistor?

A fixed resistor has a constant resistance value, while a non-linear resistor's resistance varies. Additionally, a fixed resistor follows Ohm's law, while a non-linear resistor does not.

3. How is the resistance of a non-linear resistor calculated?

The resistance of a non-linear resistor cannot be calculated using a single formula like for a fixed resistor. It varies depending on the voltage and/or current, so it must be measured experimentally.

4. Can a non-linear resistor be used in place of a fixed resistor?

In some cases, yes. However, since it does not follow Ohm's law, it may not provide the expected results. It is important to carefully consider the circuit and application before using a non-linear resistor as a replacement for a fixed resistor.

5. What are some common types of non-linear resistors?

Some common types of non-linear resistors include varistors, thermistors, and photoresistors. These types of resistors have different properties and are used in different applications.