Degrees of freedom and triatomic gas

In summary, a triatomic gas molecule has 9 degrees of freedom, with 3 translational, 3 rotational, and 3 vibrational modes. The "6 degrees of freedom" model neglects the vibration modes, which are not usually active at room temperature. However, this is not always the case, as some molecules have additional degrees of freedom due to coupling between vibrational and flexing modes.
anigeo
i wonder how can a non linear triatomic gas molecule have 6 degrees of freedom.As per me three of those will come from translational motion,two from rotational and two from vibrational modes.so it should be 7.
could you please tell me where am i going wrong.
note:the triatomic gas molecule has the arrangement of an equilateral triangle.

Physics news on Phys.org
there will be 3 from translation
3 from rotation about each atom
and 1 from from rotation of 3 atoms about center of equilateral triangle

A triatomic molecule has 9 degrees of freedom, in general.
There are 3 translational modes, 3 rotational and 3 vibrational.
The "6 degrees of freedom" triatomic molecule neglects the vibration modes, which usually are not active at room temperature.

Same as for diatomic gas (6 degrees of freedom) the vibration mode does not contribute to heat capacity at room temperature so the gas has only 5 active modes.

thanx nasu.
i think i got it

nasu said:
A triatomic molecule has 9 degrees of freedom, in general.
There are 3 translational modes, 3 rotational and 3 vibrational.
The "6 degrees of freedom" triatomic molecule neglects the vibration modes, which usually are not active at room temperature.

In general, yes, but not always. The vibrating mode is often coupled with a flexing mode (KE of libration), and many authorities prefer to consider this coupling as a single mode with a KE of kT rather than two modes with 1/2 kT each.

CS2, for instance, has 10 observed degrees of freedom.

1. What is the concept of degrees of freedom in a triatomic gas?

The concept of degrees of freedom in a triatomic gas refers to the number of independent ways in which the atoms of the gas can move and store energy. In simpler terms, it is the number of variables needed to describe the motion and energy of each atom in the gas.

2. How many degrees of freedom does a triatomic gas have?

A triatomic gas has a total of 6 degrees of freedom, with each atom having 3 degrees of freedom (corresponding to its three spatial dimensions) for translational motion and rotational motion.

3. How does the number of degrees of freedom affect the behavior of a triatomic gas?

The number of degrees of freedom affects the behavior of a triatomic gas by determining its ability to absorb and release energy. A triatomic gas with higher degrees of freedom will have more diverse and complex energy absorption and release patterns, while a gas with lower degrees of freedom will have more limited energy absorption and release capabilities.

4. What is the significance of degrees of freedom in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, degrees of freedom play a crucial role in determining the relationship between temperature and internal energy. The more degrees of freedom a gas has, the more energy it can store and the higher its temperature can be before reaching its maximum possible internal energy.

5. How does the concept of degrees of freedom apply to other types of gases or molecules?

The concept of degrees of freedom can be applied to any type of gas or molecule, regardless of its composition or size. It is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior and properties of gases in various systems and environments.