A car dealerships garage door hit my wifes car.

• Thread starter Roger Harts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the conversation is about a car accident that occurred at a car dealership. The wife's car was hit by a door and the dealership is claiming it was her fault for driving too fast. The person asking for help has done research and believes the dealership is at fault. They are looking for additional evidence to determine the wife's speed at the time of the accident. They provide information about the height and speed of the garage door, the impact point on the car, and the length of the service lane, but are unsure if it is enough to solve the equation. They also mention that this type of situation happens to their wife frequently and that this is a question about liability insurance.
Roger Harts
My wife was pulling into a service lane at a car dealership at the same time someone inside shut the door and it hit her car. They are saying that she came into the garage to fast and the instant reverse feature did not have time to react prior to it hitting the car and therefore it was her fault. I've done an incredible amount of research and I'm very confident that this is in fact their fault, however in order to provide additional evidence I want to try and determine approximately how fast she was in fact going when the accident took place. following is the information I have.

The garage door is 15 feet high and it closes at 7 inches per second.
The impact point on her car was approximately 5 feet from the ground and the service lane is 13 yards long. I'm not sure if that is enough information to solve this equation or not. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
This kind of stuff happens to my wife all the time. It always seems to be someone else's fault... Our wives seem to be very unlucky... Lol

This is a question about liability insurance, not physics.

1. What should I do if a car dealership's garage door hits my wife's car?

If a car dealership's garage door hits your wife's car, the first thing you should do is assess the damage. Take pictures of the damage and gather any necessary information, such as the dealership's name and contact information. Then, contact your insurance company to report the incident and file a claim.

2. Who is responsible for the damage caused by a car dealership's garage door?

The dealership is typically responsible for any damage caused by their garage door. They have a duty to maintain their property and ensure that it does not cause harm to others. If they are found to be at fault for the damage, they may be liable for the cost of repairs.

3. Will my insurance cover the damage caused by a car dealership's garage door?

It depends on your insurance policy. If you have comprehensive coverage, it may cover the damage caused by a car dealership's garage door. However, you may still be responsible for paying your deductible. Contact your insurance company to find out what your policy covers.

4. Can I take legal action against the car dealership for the damage?

If the dealership is not cooperating or refusing to take responsibility for the damage, you may consider taking legal action. Consult with a lawyer to determine if you have a case and what steps you should take.

5. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

To prevent this from happening in the future, you can park your car further away from the garage door or avoid parking near car dealerships with malfunctioning garage doors. If you notice any issues with a dealership's garage door, you can also report it to the dealership or local authorities.