Flux, how to find n (normal) and derivation of formula?

In summary: So in summary, to find the flux of a field across a curve, we can use the formula Flux = ∫F dot n ds = ∫M dy - N dx, where n is the unit vector normal to the curve, and can be found by taking the cross product of the tangent vector and the k unit vector. Alternatively, if the curve is a circle, the position vector can be used as the normal vector, as it is perpendicular to the curve.
Gridvvk

Homework Statement

Find the flux of the following fields:
F_1 = xi + yj
F_2 = -yi + xj

across the following curve: The circle r(t) = (cost) i + (sint) j
t is from [0,2pi]

Homework Equations

Flux = ∫F dot n ds = ∫M dy - N dx

The Attempt at a Solution

For F_1 I got:
M = x = cos t
N = y = sin t
dy = cost t dt
dx = -sin t dt

Flux for F_1 = ∫[0,2pi] cos^2 t + sin^2 t dt = ∫[0,2pi] dt => 2pi

For F_2 I got:
M = -y = -sin t
N = x = cos t
dy = cos t dt
dx = - sin t dt

Flux for F_2 = ∫[0, 2pi] -costsint + costsint dt = ∫0 = 0

-------
My answers are correct (can someone verify if method was used correctly?), but the answer key used a different method:
It said "n = <cost , sin t>, and proceeded to dot that with each field.

My concern was how n was found, I thought n = T' / |T'|, where T = r' / |r'| :
so: r' = <-sint, cos t> = T (because |r'| = 1)
T' => <-cost, -sint> = n (because |T'| = 1 as well), so how did they get their n?

Also, I'm a bit unsure on how Flux = ∫M dy - N dx is derived -- in the textbook they did:
n = T x K = (dx / ds i + dy/ ds j) x k = (dy / ds i - dx/ ds j), but if someone can spell that out for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Formula [itex]n=\frac{T'}{|T'|}[/itex] is incorrect, try parabola [itex]r(t)=[t,t^2][/itex]. Vector product [itex]T\times k[/itex] is perpendicular to [itex]k[/itex] which means it lies in [itex]XY[/itex] plane. It is also perpendicular to [itex]T[/itex] so it is normal to the curve.

Is the normal vector here in the flux case, different from the "unit vector normal" ? If so, how is n for flux calculated then?

No, it is not different, except [itex]T\times k[/itex] is not unit vector, so [itex]n=\frac{T\times k}{|T\times k|}[/itex]

Gridvvk said:

Homework Statement

Find the flux of the following fields:
F_1 = xi + yj
F_2 = -yi + xj

across the following curve: The circle r(t) = (cost) i + (sint) j
t is from [0,2pi]

-------
My answers are correct (can someone verify if method was used correctly?), but the answer key used a different method:
It said "n = <cost , sin t>, and proceeded to dot that with each field.

... so how did they get their n?

They just observed that the curve was a circle and the position vector to the circle is perpendicular to it.

Oh that makes sense, thanks for the clarifications szy and LC.

What is flux?

Flux is a physical quantity that measures the flow of a vector field through a given surface. In other words, it measures the amount of a vector field that passes through a specific area in a given amount of time.

How do I find n (normal) for flux calculation?

The normal vector, or n, is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface through which the flux is being measured. To find n, you can use the cross product of two tangent vectors to the surface. Another method is to use the gradient of the surface equation, which will give you a vector that is perpendicular to the surface at each point.

What is the formula for calculating flux?

The formula for calculating flux is: Flux = ∫∫S F ⋅ n dS, where F is the vector field, n is the normal vector, and dS is the differential element of surface area. This formula can be used for both 2D and 3D surfaces.

How do I apply the formula for flux calculation?

To apply the formula for flux calculation, first determine the vector field and the surface through which you want to calculate the flux. Then, find the normal vector to the surface, and integrate the dot product of the vector field and normal vector over the surface. The result will give you the flux through that surface.

What is the derivation of the formula for flux calculation?

The derivation of the formula for flux calculation involves using the Divergence Theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the field over the volume enclosed by the surface. By applying this theorem and manipulating the integral, we arrive at the formula Flux = ∫∫S F ⋅ n dS.